Megathread: For users seeing high CPU spikes/usage

Aha I think that cosmetic filtering flag did fix it

1 Like

Mac OS X 10.13.6

Brave is up to date

[Version 1.5.115 Chromium: 80.0.3987.149 (Official Build) (64-bit)]

Crazy CPU, up to 350% before update on one very simple website whilst a YouTube page was open.

YouTube pages would stop responding, mouseovers would register, i.e. cursor changes but controls totally unresponsive for long periods but sometimes control returns.

After update nothing has improved and in fact whilst trying to capture a screen, I had a pop-up saying that the page was not responding but it disappeared just as I was trying to capture it and the video played but the CPU for all pages was 0% except that one which was slightly >100%.

I also had a problem in the last few days that most YouTube videos suddenly would not play at all (I got a black playback screen with an error). I tested disabling all YouTube/video related extensions, all of which have been installed and running for months without issue and found that it was caused by AutoplayStopper which I disabled. I’m not saying that this is necessarily related but the problems began at roughly the same time and maybe there could be something common.

Dear Support,

I have tried the tips that Brave Support has offered such as use hardware acceleration when available. This did not fix the overload on CPU, so I deleted Brave. At the time I deleted Brave I was using macOS Catalina version 10.15.3. on the date 3/24/20

Then I installed macOS Catalina 10.15.4 on the date of 3/24/20 then re-installed Brave and opened the website that was causing me issue – https://login.exeterlms.com/ (Woz-U)

Finally, I opened Task Manager and noticed the problem did NOT stop.

@Derek,
Did you try changing the flag suggested in a previous reply above?

@Mattches

I tried the suggestion as mentioned and noticed no difference, so 100%+ CPU usage.

For the issue I, and some others have with the BAT Ledger pegging CPU constantly any more thoughts or ideas to troubleshoot?

A new profile does not have the issue but it would seem to defeat the purpose to lose all the BAT earned to fix the problem. Is there some way to reset the Ledger service somehow while maintaining the BAT? Or even to better profile/isolate what is wrong. I wouldn’t mind losing the BAT even IF it was in service of a permanent solution. I don’t like doing it if the problem could reappear for me and others.

1 Like

@Mattches any chance of further investigation, progress, suggestions on the BAT Ledger Service CPU pegging issue as I’ve asked above. Disabling or enabling hardware acceleration did not affect. Extensions don’t seem involved. The custom cosmetic filtering flag noted above did not help.

A new profile does not have the issue, so something in the profile is at issue. But losing BAT among other things whenever this crops up seems like a punt of a workaround. I’m happy to do more digging with some guidance to narrow things down more if I can. Anyone involved with the BAT Ledger Service I could work with?