High CPU usage by "Browser" process

I’m seeing some issues with high CPU usage sometimes. I have not been able to determine a pattern to it yet. After some period of time using Brave, it seems like one of the threads of the main Brave process starts to spin and chew up CPU. The browser windows all continue working normally, but the main Brave process starts consuming 134% CPU, the Mac starts running hot, and the battery starts draining quickly. The Brave Task Manager shows it’s the process labeled “Browser” that’s doing it. If I close Brave completely and then start it back up again with all the same tabs open, this drops down to 3-4%.

MacOS version 11.6.1
Brave version 1.32.113

1 Like

I experience the very same issue and have no clue how to troubleshoot. It really seems that the spike in CPU usage is random, and only a restart helps. Sometimes for hours, sometimes only for minutes.

Can please someone help how to continue to troubleshoot?

In my case, it seems to be triggered by opening a large number (15-20) tabs in a short period of time. I use the SearchTempest site to search for various things on Craigslist in multiple locations. SearchTempest basically automates this by opening up a bunch of tabs and running your search in multiple different Craigslist sites for different cities. Doing this will not always trigger the high CPU usage, but does trigger it maybe once out of 4 or 5 times I run a search.

also experiencing this

Version 1.33.106 Chromium: 96.0.4664.110 (Official Build) (x86_64)
MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 (19H1519)

honestly starting to consider changing browser

I switched back to Chrome, and the problem was identical. This is an upstream issue

Same issue here. I have reported this problem before and unfortunately was not addressed properly last time. So I came here to report it again and see other people also encountered it. As for me is also random. I open brave and open bunch of tabs and its fine. However later the very same tabs the brave goes into this mode that my cpu is being used constantly at about 17% percent more or less and the laptop fans kicks in and stays on.

I opened the task manager and I can see the main thread is mainly using all the process. I usually restart the brave and the problem disappears until it comes back later.

I am seeing this on:
Version 1.34.80 Chromium: 97.0.4692.71 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I just searched “high cpu usage” in this forum and there are tons of other issues people have reported. I am wondering if the devs actually check these!? On my previous post, one of them asked me for some logs and screenshots and I posted however he never replied back and the post was closed due to lack of activity. This is the link to my post:

I just noticed that the issue persists even after I close all brave windows. (Unless I close the main thread (background service) in the notification section on the bottom right).

Thus, the issue persists when the brave is running in the background. This indicates that it must be with one of the backend processes or an extension that runs in the background.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.