I think a scammer posted a fake link to "support" and stole my seed phrase

I think someone just stole 87,000 XRP from me. My. life. savings. A person on here “Sandeeep” replied to a post I made, and I believe he gave me a phony link to “support”. They told me to put my seed phrase into a website and then $40,000 worth of assets were sent out of my Ledger. I’m literally worried sick.
They gave a link to this site:
https://cross-chainsupport.f-hx.com/portal/ and that’s where I clicked to connect my Ledger account. OMG

Description of the issue:

Are you using the (new) Brave Wallet or the (old) Crypto wallets implementation?

How can this issue be reproduced?

Brave Version (check About Brave):

Additional Information:

2 Likes

@Mattches

Can you share the tx link for the XRP transaction?

1 Like

THAT IS THE SCAMMER!!! I got the same message.

Not sure which link you want? TX Hash? 0E4A4879122B169AB27E55D3DA01FDC1F2E2ADF44EEF083ED13B0B93D57A32BC

@chh_68 I went ahead and shared around, also putting out a notice for people to be careful. I used your screenshot and linked to this topic.

2 Likes

Extremely sorry to hear this!

First things first – can you please ensure whatever remaining assets you have on your seed have been transferred out to a fresh wallet ASAP? This includes all assets across all blockchains (Bitcoin, Ethereum, Polygon, etc).

Secondly, I hope you’re aware that anything that has been stolen from your Ledger is irreversible at this point. I understand this incident must be a big blow for you, but it’s not the end of the world.

Going forward, as a reminder to everyone reading this, please keep the following points in mind:

1. If you’re using a Ledger, the only place where you should EVER enter your seed is on your Ledger device itself. This is typically when you’re recovering your seed.
  2. You can use your Ledger on any dapp, and also with Brave Wallet by simply “connecting” your device. You should NEVER have to touch your seed phrase.
  3. Ledger or Brave team NEVER asks for your seed phrase, including for resolving support issues.
4 Likes

Looks like the scammer transferred the amount to binance. He transferred it 4-5 hours back.

Also, this is the correct hash of him transferring XRP from your account to his

Your best bet is to contact binance and ask them to stop him.

Give binance enough proof to stop him liquidating the amount.
Contact your local cyber crime police so that they can co-ordinate with binance to stop him.

3 Likes

Thanks, I’m sure he’d have long since sold all those assets though. This happened this afternoon. He took everything, nothing left to transfer. I can’t believe I was so naive.

2 Likes

Even if he sold everything, he must have done KYC with binance, connected his bank account with binance. The money can be still recovered from his bank account.

The scammer does not seem to be that good (professional) to me. He used some weird domain instead of a domain similar to brave or any other company. Directly transferred the XRP to a binance account instead of washing it beforehand.

If you want the funds to be recovered they can be recovered but it will take some time.

3 Likes

That’s a good point, thank you. I just wonder how I would prove to binance that it wasn’t me who sent them. I’ll look into it. Thanks again.

1 Like

There are few rules in crypto. “never give your seed phrase” is one of them.
(no one will ask for it except scammers)

2 Likes

File an abuse case here: https://support.namecheap.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit
and contact your local prosecutors, have them file a protection order of evidence with namecheap, then go after their binance kyc info.

1 Like

So I just talked with Binance, they can’t help because my assets were sold/moved out of their system.

Yes I know, but since I was trying to fix a wallet, and you need to work with seed phrases to work with wallets, it seemed believable at the time.

Ask them were they sold in fiat and then deposited to the scammers bank account? Or were they just converted to another crypto and moved out of binance.

Either way you will need police from here on.

If you really really need the money back (it is a large amount) you will need help of police, binance team, patience and time and will to get the money back.

1 Like

@chh_68 I am also having a similar issue with Rocco.
I had a balance on my Brave wallet and my USDT has been automatically transferred to https://coinbasedex.vip/#/ and I cannot transfer it back to my Brave wallet…

All my money has gone in a day that I have been saving for years.

3 Likes

How devastating :cry: I am so sorry this happened to you. I too lost over $20k a few months back on a different site. Prayers that justice will be done soon. Secret Service supposedly will be taking care of this issue.

2 Likes

Thanks, people have to be smarter and TRUST NO ONE IN CRYPTO.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.