Aggregate Topic: Outdated Brave crashing on YouTube

1. Yes @scavxo turning off the shield ad blocker for You Tube worked immediately.

2. But since it worked fine aprox 1 hour before the above described issue. does that mean YT has changed something in my registry?

3. Or have they upgraded their server to prompt the crash?

4. Yes the virtual box looks good. Will these specs suit?

Youtube y discord no Abren. se cierra el navegador.

1 Like

@AngelAlastre ¿Qué versión de Windows está utilizando? ¿Es Windows 7, Windows 8, o qué? Las personas que han estado experimentando el problema como usted está diciendo están utilizando versiones obsoletas de Brave que ya no es compatible. La solución es dejar de usar Shields, que es el adblocker. Bueno, eso o actualizar a un sistema operativo y versión de Brave más recientes.

1 Like

Hola, tienes razon yo uso windows 7 todavia. Pero deberian buscar una solucion porque La mayoria de los navegadores funcionan bien todavia con youtube y seria mas facil instalar otro navegador que instalar otro windows.

1 Like

You should specify the AppData folder for Brave specifically, since this could turn into something akin to delete system32 for some user’s data. There’s a LOT of other programs that use that folder’s subfolders.
C:\Users\ (user)\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware

Perhaps. Actually saw two versions of discussion on that. Let’s see, link to conversation would be started around Aggregate Topic: Outdated Brave crashing on YouTube - #140 by requenax and then ended around Aggregate Topic: Outdated Brave crashing on YouTube - #145 by Gondixter

I wasn’t about to guide people too far down the rabbit hole. Especially as I’ve told people, I’m not a big tech expert either. I just watch what works or doesn’t work for people and then repeat it to others. Sometimes my own assumptions along with some trial & error have landed extraordinary results, but I never pretend to know a lot or be more than I am.

1. Disable Shields for youtube? How, since the browser gets nuked as soon as you visit the website?
    Also, youtube is not the only site nuking your browser, there’s plenty others. Internet is basically now a minefield for your users.
    You guys have refused to add a simple disable Shields everywhere button. Now we pay the price for trusting that you know better.
  2. Refuse to update? Of course we refuse to update since it defeats the purpose: why “update” to a spyware of an OS and still use Brave that supposedly protects your privacy?
    We can of course switch to Linux but that has its own sacrifices.
  3. How come uBlock Origin can support older OS but your Shields can’t?

Admit it, you lost the fight with Youtube. Sad, but the truth will set us all free.

1 Like

For me, disabling shields doesn’t work. Im on mac os 10.14 and unfortunately cant update it as cuz of my old mac doesn’t support. But weirdly, if i use a guest login once i turn on my mac instead of my main one, brave seems to work fine over there. No crashing on opening Youtube with shields on. So why is that happening? I have also tried making a new profile on brave, it didnt work. So basically logging into guest account on mac seems to be the only way for me altleast. Can you devs please telle why is that an issue that it doesnt work on my main account but works fine on the guest one?

How is it all about the money when the browser is free? The funny thing is, Military and Hospitals still use Windows XP, and many others. I think 7 is the best personally, but no one is going to want to perform surgery or fly a plane and get hacked. It’s pretty obvious that you need to have support and security for 7 and XP, or we will just have to find someone else that does. There really is no excuse, since newer versions of Windows are total garbage.

2 Likes

My attempt at an aggregate solution post.
This is affecting ALL OSs with older Brave browser versions. Win 7/8.1 are hard-locked to a certain version, which this impacts the most. The “why” is due to the following:

• There’s a part of Brave that still updates in the background brave://components. This is what handles stuff like the Shields (and why it continues to work with blocking ads/trackers even in older versions). In an unspecific explanation, it’s how the shields interact with google/youtube that’s causing this.
  • I don’t know how to shut this off or roll it back, though I don’t think there IS any way to do that. So we’ll have to wait for someone knowledgeable to chime in.

Webinstaller doesn’t support older OSs like Win 7/8.1 (I don’t know the OS number for Mac). The version you might be looking for is this one:
https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/releases/tag/v1.46.134

A fix was posted down below for a fix to prevent the instant crashing by dumpydonkey (remember to give 'em a heart!):

1. Go to brave://settings/content/braveShields
    Or Settings > Privacy and security > Site and Shields Settings > Shields status
  2. Click Add, and enter https://www.youtube.com, and click the Add button
  3. Refresh the page to make sure the changes apply.

The above worked for me to add the shields and disable them. I don’t know if there’s going to be another site that will cause a crash but I’ll keep this updated if so.
Unfortunately you’ll need to disable shields and use a separate adblocker extension like uBlock Origin.

1. Go to brave://settings/shields
  2. Trackers & ads blocking → disable this
  3. Download uBlock Origin to restore ad blocking

https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/37243#issuecomment-2033349720(Site changed by me to encompass most browsers.)

• Disable (globally) sheilds via brave://settings/shields. “Ads & trackers”
  • Install uBlock Origin via https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock (Select respective browser extension store)
  • From uBlock Origin enable Fanboy Annoyances or Easylist Cookie lists, for feature parity with Brave.

If youtube/google (and other sites that implement something google uses that I’m currently not sure about) STILL doesn’t work with shields off, then continue reading.
Note that this still may not work and still cause it to crash. Even being offline and visiting the unloadable site may still crash. If you can manage it, try to install uBlock Origin then:

1. Click uBlock icon
  2. Click the gears icon
  3. Click the My Filters tab
  4. Add the following two new lines in the large text box:

youtube.com
ytimg.com

1. Click Apply Changes

This should prevent any and all youtube links from loading immediately, and can prevent the insta-crash. This isn’t fool-proof and anyone is welcome to suggest other lines to add to this to prevent crashing.
Taking yourself offline and attempting to visit the site to turn off the shields MIGHT work, if it doesn’t insta-crash. Then you can click proceed on the uBlock page and try loading the page. If it still crashes:

1. Click uBlock icon
  2. Click the gears icon
  3. Click the Settings tab
  4. Click the Back up to file… button and save the file

From there, you can try renaming the following folder
C:\Users\(User)\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data
Rename it like _User Data, so you keep all your old data intact. Then try to open Brave again. You’ll need to reinstall uBlock Origin, then repeat the last set of instructions but on step 4 you’ll click Restore from file… this time. Once that’s done, disable shields like earlier. Then you can try again to visit youtube OFFLINE to see if the shields cause it to insta-crash. If it doesn’t, disable the shields for the site. Then go online and try to load. If it crashes, you’ll need to use a different browser dedicated to using youtube/google for now. There’s alternate browsers available like Opera/OperaGX and Firefox (which I know are supported by uBlock Origin), and uBO’s page is here https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock
If you’re much more privacy-oriented, I’ll quote my friend:

-Supermium (https://github.com/win32ss/supermium/releases/tag/v122-hf) since it’s chromium based, but you need to set a flag to get more privacy oriented browsing since the guy hasn’t put all the patches in by default yet.
-Librewolf (https://librewolf.net/installation/) but that’s Firefox based. Librewolf is also more privacy oriented. But it also disables a lot of features by default to enforce that privacy.
Honestly I can’t recommend either over the other. They both have their pros and cons. Supermium works, but it’s also just Chrome made for older Windows versions with extra flags for more privacy.

I didn’t verify, but I believe those two are still supported by uBO since they’re forks of Chromium and Firefox (respectively).
To restore your old Brave profile with everything intact, just delete User Data and rename the _User Data folder back to the old name. You’ll need to avoid youtube and google entirely, just in case. But other sites should still work as long as you leave those lines in uBlock Origin you added earlier.

For MOBILE USERS: I haven’t seen any solution other then updating if you can. I apologize for not having an answer available.
From a new post below, you can TEST if this works (remember to leave a heart for 'em if it helps!): Aggregate Topic: Outdated Brave crashing on YouTube - #194 by fanboynz (Click to jump to the post, too much text to quote)

A POSSIBLE band-aid fix you may be able to implement is at the top of this post under the webinstaller to prevent crashing, but Brave can’t adblock on youtube anymore if you do this.

1 Like

Actually it’s not. I use windows 7 with Brave 1.47 too, and it was crashing if I did anything, even basic google search, Maybe because I am logged in with a youtube / google account. What has been said here is correct, you need to disable shields and try another adblocker. It also helpes to delete cache data.

Go to your settings → shields → disable everything globally.

You should do some more research. Not true. It’s more of a conspiracy theory. Why do you think all experts in the tech and privacy world all have the most recent versions of OS and everything?

If what you were saying was true, then you’d have “experts” get together and either make a browser or take open source things like Brave and build out a version that works. Yet they don’t. This tells you that the people preaching about older being more private or secure aren’t anyone knowledgeable or capable. You have to do your research and use a bit of critical thinking.

Issue is in scripts. Remember, Brave has encoded the adblock into the browser with Rust. Those of you refusing to update don’t have the most recent Rust updates. Then you have compatibility issues with adblock scripts updating in the background (I haven’t had anyone willing to confirm this yet, but I think you still get brave://components updates on older browser) and websites change how they display content, then you end up with compatibility issues.

uBlock Origin extensions works for now because it’s isolated and you’re still updating it. But eventually that’s also going to stop with Manifest V3 and all.

Google search causes it too (youtube embed results). Added that bit of context to my post. There’s something google does that brave shields picks up and bugs the hell out. I couldn’t tell you what.

Brave still gets money from people using it. Think about the ads and all in things like Brave Rewards. But then you also have to remember newer versions have Brave VPN, Brave Leo (the AI), and everything. Plus Wallet where people would do transactions. You can’t do all of these things on older versions and it would take a lot of time and money to build out separate versions for older OS, which only a very small population of people use.

They also have contracts with Microsoft where they continue receiving security updates even though it’s discontinued. Much of the military actually uses newer OS, it’s only some specific use cases where they have older. If you do some research, you’ll find things like:

The DoD has also been migrating to Windows 10, and company officials estimate that 10% of government computers, including thousands on classified military and diplomatic networks, will still run Windows 10.

And that was back in 2014.

I think it’s more than just them, but maybe not. It’s already been said it’s a compatibility issues with content filters and old Rust code that’s used for Shields. Just didn’t get into things much more. But the reason why I said it’s likely more than just Google is also because of topics like Brave keep crashing loading one specific URL but only since today where person on older Brave is having issues on different website. Perhaps that site is using something from Google which is causing, but in either case, wanted to point that out.

Updated my post yet again for more clarifications and two other privacy-oriented browsers for (what I hope is a temporary) youtube-browsing alternative.

For me, disabling shields doesn’t work. Im on mac os 10.14 and unfortunately cant update it as cuz of my old mac doesn’t support. But weirdly, if i use a guest login once i turn on my mac instead of my main one, brave seems to work fine over there. No crashing on opening Youtube with shields on. So why is that happening? I have also tried making a new profile on brave, it didnt work. So basically logging into guest account on mac seems to be the only way for me altleast. Can you devs please telle why is that an issue that it doesnt work on my main account but works fine on the guest one?

No crashing on opening Youtube with shields on. So why is that happening? I have also tried making a new profile on brave, it didnt work. So basically logging into guest account on mac seems to be the only way for me altleast.

That makes two strange outliers. As much as I didn’t want to, tagging @Mattches for potentially useful information on what specifically might be causing the/an issue.

Earlier post: https://community.brave.com/t/aggregate-topic-outdated-brave-crashing-on-youtube/541251/130

I can browse pages that have embedded vids on (and even watch them!) now, but going to Youtube.com just kills it instantly.

1 Like

I know right its weird. I just watched couple of videos and no crash. I switch to my main mac account and tried opening youtube and it instantly crashed. @Mattches

I posted an aggregated potential solution list above (that I updated again):
https://community.brave.com/t/aggregate-topic-outdated-brave-crashing-on-youtube/541251/176 Post is a bit long so I unembedded it in this reply.