Brave browser crash after update... :(

Hello all!
I updated my browser yesterday on my windows 10 21H2 and its been crashing ever since. I get white screen and the browser crashes not being able to use it at all. I uninstalled and tried installing Beta / Nightly versions and they give me the same problem. Would love to get my Brave back.
Thank you

@MayaX Just to be clear, when you open it’s white screen completely and then crashes? So not able to navigate anywhere or change settings?

If able to navigate, would be awesome if you can get to brave://crashes and make sure reports submitted. Then provide Crash Report ID or whatever

correct. I am not able to navigate anywhere or change any settings…

Wishing I had some ideas to throw your way. The primary thing that I’m wanting to suggest is just to make sure drivers are updated and all. Maybe even temporarily halt things like firewall, as they have created issues in the past. But that’s just some random/basic concepts.

Other thing I’d ask is, do you have Chrome? Curious if it will open up fine or if it might have the same issue?

Beyond that, likely will have to wait until @Mattches comes on tomorrow and hope he might point in the right direction.

Thank you!
Yes I have and am using Chrome right now, works ok

@MayaX,
Thanks for reaching out. I think I’ve seen enough users encountering this to assume that there was an issue in the last update that caused this. So far, the only solution that seems to have worked is deleting the User data folder and essentially starting clean.

Give me a bit of time to talk over this with the team to see what it would take to get this resolved.

Thank you for your reply.

I honestly don’t know where to find this folder… I tried \BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application - but no User data folder

I will wait for it to hopefully be resolved at your end.

@MayaX on Windows, you can find your profile directory under %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser for release channel - Beta would be like %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser-Beta

Basically if you navigate to the parent folder (Windows + R, paste in %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\, and hit enter) and then you rename the folders (ex: rename Brave-Browser as Brave-Browser1) that would let you test if a clean profile works. A new empty profile will be created and that should be working perfectly for you

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I followed your suggestion and reached the folder i was looking for. I renamed one folder that I found BraveWallet1 (only 1 i found with Brave in the name), re-downloaded the browser, installed, and its back to working condition with my old tabs still there!

Thank you for the help you guys!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.