Brave Crashing - Shields (Jun 2023)

I have used Brave ever since it came out with very few problems but I have been having issues recently. I have a top-end PC with all the computing power I could ever need, and Brave has been running very smoothly ever since I got it 6 months ago.

Recently I have been getting frequent STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATIONs alongside total crashes. It has been getting worse and worse now to the point I get a crash every 5 minutes. I have been sending reports and have done many solutions to try to fix it but to no avail.

However, once I turned off Trackers & ads blocking, everything is working fine. I have opened multiple tabs with videos playing from different sites, normally something that would have crashed my browser instantly, and there are no problems whatsoever.

(Version 1.52.126)
I have already tried:
*Uninstalling and Re-installing.
*Disabling hardware acceleration
*Open in Private Window
*Create a new profile
*Remove any custom filters in Shields
*Turning on Memory Saver
*Clearing user cache
*Clearing app data
*Updating all drivers
*Changing antivirus software

So is there any solution to this, or do I have to suffer ads and trackers now to use Brave? Any assistance is most appreciated. I don’t want to have to switch browsers.

@Scone Could you provide some more details? For example:

• Which OS and version are you using? (such as Windows 10/11, Android 12/13, Mac Ventura/Catalina, Linux Mint/Debian/Ubuntu, etc)

• When you created a new profile, did you add any extensions or change settings?

• I see you mentioned removing custom filters in Shields. Just to verify, you removed 100% of anything there? I’m speaking of things at brave://settings/shields/filters (these persist across profiles, though they shouldn’t)

• Have you changed anything in brave://flags? (these too persist across profiles)

• When you mention clearing cache and app data, where did you do this from? Usually those are more terms I see on Android or mobile. Otherwise it’s things like Cookies, Site Data, etc. So just wanting to make sure we’re understanding what you did and if you tried clearing cookies, site data, etc.

Could you copy/paste any of your more recent Uploaded Crash Report ID?

Have you noticed if this happens even if you do nothing? Or is it on particular websites or types of content?

Which OS and version are you using? (such as Windows 10/11, Android 12/13, Mac Ventura/Catalina, Linux Mint/Debian/Ubuntu, etc)
Windows 10

When you created a new profile, did you add any extensions or change settings? I don’t have any extensions to begin with and did not add any, nor did I change settings.

I see you mentioned removing custom filters in Shields. Just to verify, you removed 100% of anything there? I’m speaking of things at brave://settings/shields/filters
No filters were applied.

Have you changed anything in brave://flags? (these too persist across profiles)
No

When you mention clearing cache and app data, where did you do this from? Usually those are more terms I see on Android or mobile. Otherwise it’s things like Cookies, Site Data, etc. So just wanting to make sure we’re understanding what you did and if you tried clearing cookies, site data, etc.
I normally cleared site cookies often - I had it so it would clear each time I would close the browser. I also tried clearing User Cache on the windows PC, as well as #appdata# in the brave folders. Clearing #appdata# made it work slightly better but still having issues.

Could you copy/paste any of your more recent Uploaded Crash Report ID?
I will try to make it crash and copy in the crash reports shortly. Funnily enough it seems to be working so far today. I updated a number of drivers yesterday and it was still crashing, but potentially this was a delayed fix.

Have you noticed if this happens even if you do nothing? Or is it on particular websites or types of content?
It normally happened when I was on Reddit & Youtube but maybe when I have more than 5 tabs open it would happen more often.

It does still appear to crash randomly. I have sent a crash report:
|a6522d71-92f3-43f0-bac9-e64ba824b5d2|

@Scone thanks for the information. I’ll tag in @Mattches on this and hope he can try to touch base with you when gets a chance. If nothing else to try to look into the crash report.,

@Saoiray thank you.
Here is another crash report for reference:
40f75290-6315-4be3-ab6b-a2691862c8df

1 Like

Also, I don’t know if this helps, but it tends to crash when I’m using the Scroll Lock function with the mouse. Not sure why that would be the case.
Another crash report:
ad268b4f-fb15-40b9-82cd-0b391344f8da

@Scone,
Can you please go back to brave://crashes and ensure that these reports are sent? Crash reports that are sent properly will have 0’s at the end. We are unable to view the information given the ones you have sent.

Thank you

@matchjes,
I did press send for each one above and more. I wonder why they didn’t come through. Also all my previous crashes do not appear anymore. Wonder why that is? Are they part of browser history which I clear often?

Additionally, I think my issue might be more system wide as other apps such as Discord are crashing. I think it was after a windows update and my PC has become quite unstable. I have updated drivers and BIOS etc, which has helped but I think it’s more of a graphics or memory problem.

Looking into it further. I feel like a Linux user -.-

You have to close the browser for a little bit after you hit send. Specifically you need to make sure you’re seeing the words Uploaded Crash Report ID. I’m guessing you shared the crash context ID.

@Saoiray,
I just tried to send one but didn’t get the words Uploaded Crash Report ID.

@Scone

• Go to brave://crashes

• Click Upload

• Completely close all windows for Brave

• Wait 30-60 seconds

• Open brave and go back to brave://crashes

• You should now see Uploaded Crash Report ID that you can copy/paste.

I get this message each time:
You have no recently reported crashes. Crashes that occurred when crash reporting was disabled will not appear here.

I have enabled diagnostic reports in settings so not sure why they are not appearing.

@Scone Are you able to replicate the crash? If so, it should be able to pull up something then

Hi @Saoiray,
I did that many times but the reports were not coming through and I could not see them again. Not to worry though, I managed to fix the issue. After updating windows, my PC became unstable. I noticed it also affected Discord quite significantly, alongside the other chromium based browsers I have like Edge.

So I decided to go through everything and make sure I did the windows optional updates, ASUS updates, all drivers (GPU, CPU) etc. Ran multiple tests, Virus remover, RAM etc. which picked up no issues. So then I updated my BIOS alongside the additional Intel ME, audio etc. Also reconfigured BitLocker. The issue was happening quite significantly, but then I re-installed all the chromium browsers and Discord again and somehow this managed to fix it this time!

I am happy to have Brave working again as it’s been my favorite browser since release :smiley:

Any idea why it got fixed only when I reinstalled after making sure everything was up to date? I re-installed them previously which did not work.
Do apps configure themselves on installation based on the settings of the PC? As such, there might have been a mismatch between windows version, drivers etc. causing these apps not to function properly.
Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.