Low audio output on YouTube

Description of the issue:
A few weeks ago audio output changed to very low when watching media on YouTube. Volume is about 1/3 of normal with output set to 100% on YouTube video and volume control setting in Windows 10 set to 100%

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Any YouTube video
  2. Windows 10 operating system, running under Boot Camp partition on an iMac

Expected result: Normal listening levels with headset or speakers plugged into audio jack.

Brave Version( check About Brave): Version 1.9.72 Chromium: 81.0.4044.138 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
Audio output levels are normal with other browsers: Edge, FireFox, Chrome

Hi @WellnessDave, thanks for reaching out!
Can you try creating a new profile and seeing if the issue persists?
Click on the menu icon in the top right corner > create a new profile.

The volume in a new profile is significantly higher than I’ve been experiencing. What does that mean? Do I need to delete Brave and reinstall?

It might be an extension causing the issue - can you try disabling all of your extensions? If that solves the problem, the next steps would be to enable each extension one by one, and seeing which one causes the issue.

It’s not an extension. I only had three and with all of them removed the sound volume is still very low.

Can you try disabling Hardware Acceleration in settings to see if this resolves the issue?
You’ll find this in Settings --> Additional Settings --> System --> Hardware Acceleration

1 Like

Removal of hardware acceleration didn’t help either.

1 Like

@WellnessDave, Is the sound only low for YouTube? Or does it happen on other sites?

It happens when I click on YouTube videos on YouTube and on other sites, such as FaceBook or whatfinger.com. If I play a Zoom recording on FaceBook, volume is great. If I play videos on other sites that aren’t YouTube videos the volume is great. So, the problem is only with videos that originate on and reside on YouTube.

Can you try resetting the permissions and clearing the site date for Youtube?
Go to brave://settings/content/siteDetails?site=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com, and then click reset permissions and clear date

The problem is resolved. I tried to take many single steps so I could discover the cause, but I don’t know what finally fixed the problem. I did the following: 1. Uninstalled Brave with program that is supposed to remove all related files. 2. Installed a new copy, with no bookmarks installed and the problem remained in my original profile. 3. Created a new profile and as before found YouTube volumes good in the new profile 4. I opened my original and the new profile and opened to “settings” in each one. One at a time I laboriously changed an original profile setting to match the new profile. I closed the browser, and reopened it to see if volume had changed in my original profile. 5. Finally, way down in the System setting category I turned on and off the “Continue running background app”, and I turned “Use hardware acceleration” on and then off, After exiting the browser and then restarting it, volume on YouTube was normal. 6. I added two extensions, one at a time, and YouTube volume was still ok. 7. I imported my saved bookmarks and volume still continued to be normal. I’m sorry I don’t the exact step that eliminated the problem. I noticed this installation of the latest browser I downloaded doesn’t have my picture in the upper right corner; now it’s a color filled circle with a white X, so something is different about the latest version.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.