How do I keep Brave from switching to a new tab when clicking on a link? SOLVED. Had to reinstall

I’m befuddled to read that no one sees the usefulness in just being able to click on a link you want to see after finishing with the page your on, and leaving that link open to the side for immediate future reference. There’s lots of instances where you’re not ready to stop reading the page, yet you know you’re going to want to PUT A TAB on a link to see it when you’re done before it leaves your recollection, or just so that you can start organizing what you want to look at next. You may even be surfing and an algorithm will not give you the same links as your previous pages after refreshing them or trying to go back to them, but by having set aside the link you wanted to see later, you wont loose it, so you can refer to it when you’re done with your original pages! Once you get use to being able to do this, for one to be forced to switch upon clicking a link and get jolted out of the page you’re on is so frustrating and limiting, it’s hard to believe no one sees it.

Issue:
Clicking on a link and being forced to leave the page onto a new tab.

Hi @Trimonde,
Can you share one or two example site where this happens?

Hey Trimonde,

I hold Ctrl + Click to open any link in a new not active tab!

Is brave your default browser?

1 Like

:point_up: Note that on Windows it would be ctrl + click to open a link in a new tab in the background. You can find additional keyboard shortcuts for the browser here:

Yes, I believe Brave is my default browser. Is THAT the problem?

OK I tried press/holding “cntrl” first, but in both cases, either just clicking, or clicking on “open in a new tab” it does the same. It’s driving me nuts. I have Brave on a different computer and it doesn’t do it … but I have no clue as to why the difference.I’m used to navigating and organizing what I want to look at next this way, and now I got keep myself from clicking on the links.

Any link, all sites… even on this page. I can’t do what I normally do, which was to open a link in the background on a different tab while I finish doing what I’m doing on the active tab. AAARGH!!! … and like I said on another reply, Somehow on my other (slower) computer, I use for watching tutorials while learning programs on this one, it normally continues to do what I have always done. It opens the new tab in the background off to the side, and waits for me to come on it at my discretion. Should I check the Brave version of it? I think they have both been updated to the latest version. … And yet, I have noticed that in the Brave community people have been asking like crazy to change it towards what it is right now on this computer, instant switch over. It seems that that’s what everybody wanted. So now I’m worried that it’s a feature that will never go back to what I prefer.

OK, I just checked. Both my laptops (Dell Studio 1558 *very old, and Dell Inspiron 7773) have Brave as their default browser, and have the same *latest version. The old one doesn’t do this problem and will just open a new tab in the background normally without jolting me out of the page I’m on. But the new laptop, which does have this problem, also has Chrome and Firefox installed in it (the other one doesn’t), which I don’t use but have installed just in case I might need to use them for any reason. I wonder of that could be the problem (???)

OK, I just checked. Both my laptops (Dell Studio 1558 *very old, and Dell Inspiron 7773) have Brave as their default browser, and have the same *latest version. The old one doesn’t do this problem and will just open a new tab in the background normally without jolting me out of the page I’m on. But the new laptop, which does have this problem, also has Chrome and Firefox installed in it (the other one doesn’t), which I don’t use but have installed just in case I might need to use them for any reason. I wonder of that could be the problem (?)

linux also ctrl :slight_smile:

maybe push scroll? :slight_smile:

nOp! Tried that too :unamused:

1 Like

@Trimonde,
That doesn’t make any sense – the default behavior of the browser is to open tabs in the background when using the ctrl + click. Do you have any extensions installed in the browser at this time?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.