Option to switch to new tab at opening

As a first time user of Brave, I am getting used to the settings and find that it is very comparable to other browsers I’ve used. However, I don’t see within the settings an open to switch to the new tab when one opens. I understand that not everyone desires that feature, but I have grown accustomed to my browsers being set to that option. Typically, if I open a new tab, it’s because I want to look at the content on the new page, right then. Having to subsequently select the new tab after already selecting the link to where I want to view next, to me, is an extra, unnecessary, and often annoying step. If this settings option does exist, please share with me where I may be overlooking it. If it does not, please consider including one. Thank you.

2 Likes

@DLove if I understood it correctly, you want your Brave to open a new tab every time you open Brave?

The setting is available at Settings > On startup.

No, that’s not it. When I select a link on one tab and the link opens up to a new tab, I want Brave to automatically switch to the new tab so I can begin viewing it immediately. I don’t see an option for that in settings as with other browsers.

1 Like

@DLove,
I believe I follow your thinking – however, note that you can ctrl + shift + click (cmd + shift + click on macOS) which will open a link in a new tab and also auto-jump to that tab:

Thank you for the shortcut tip. That’ll be very helpful. However, other browsers have an option in settings to make that happen by default on just click. Any possibility of adding such a feature?

1 Like

Are you haphazardly attempting to make this thing a “smart” browser?

This request – shift focus to a new tab when it’s opened – has shown up in previous threads, e.g.: Switch to New Tab When Opening Link

Adding to users’ frustration, code offering this option was included in Brave’s Muon version. There’s no rational reason to not offer this option in Brave’s current version. Amplifying users’ frustration, it’s inconceivable anyone ever would open a new tab but not want to shift focus to the newly opened tab. Port the code from Brave’s Muon version – code that worked perfectly well – to Brave’s current version.

• No need to write new code.
• No need to test new code.
• No need to debug new code.
• Port the relevant Muon code to Chromium.

Folks who don’t want the option can ignore it. Those of us – accustomed to other browsers – will have the option of consistent behavior across browsers.

NO! I’m really upset now that it looks like Brave felt that only “switch to new tab immediately” needed to be its fixed default! It’s so ANNOYING! Contrary to what some people believe, some of us want to just open the tab to the side, and be free to look at it a few minutes later after we’re done with the page we are reading at the moment. It serves as a reminder of other things you need. or want to look at before you abandon the subject matter. It’s useful for lots of things! Especially because once you refresh YouTube or Facebook you will not load up the same links you had before and your chance to see them are forever gone. And sometimes there are many things you need to look at when you are done with the page you’re on!! Arggh!! What happened to “Options are good?!”

2 Likes

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!! I HATE it automatically switching and need it NOT to do that.

Completely with you guys. Auto switching on me would ruin everything the way I do things. I think it’s perfect as is. That said there’s no reason there shouldn’t be an option for both obviously.

I just copied this from firefox - which may just get me to use it more now.

There is a chrome extension that does what you want.

“Tab Activate”

I have just tested it in Brave.