Automatically Switch to New Tab When Opening Link

Hi Brave Developers,

Automatically opening a link in a new tab and automatically switching focus to the new tab is a basic_browsing_function.

I appreciate mildly that you have provided shortcut keys like CTRL-SHIFT to be able to accomplish this however, I’m usually browsing with a mouse and this shortcut requires me to lean over and actually type on my keyboard. It’s often the ONLY thing I need to reach to my keyboard for. I also appreciate the pretty pictures of new tabs and the metrics and the pinning, blah, blah - I really do, however…

Please add this basic_Internet_browsing_function. Clicking on a link should be 1-CLICK, not 1-click plus 2-keys or, a right-click then a click on open in new tab then another click on the new tab. Of course I want it active - I just clicked on it. I’d like to read it in a new tab so when I close it, either purposely or accidentally, I can go back to my last tab and not close my entire trail of websites I’ve been reading all morning or night or day.

I have been on the Internet since Google only had Usenet groups and I’m telling you - this is one of the most basic browser functions. I was going to switch all my computer and device browsers to Brave (except for when I’m browsing more securely) but this is not only a daily annoyance but a - every_time_I_click_on_a_link_to_open_it aggravation.

It’s like salt in a wound.
It’s like a mosquito bite that doesn’t stop itching.
It’s like nails on a day-long chalkboard.
It’s like a stye in my eye.

It’s making me hate Brave even though I love so many other, not necessarily required features of a browser.

Thanks for listening!
(oh, and if Switching to New Tab When Opening Link IS now available and I’ve missed it then thank you, thank you, thank you and thanks for pointing it out!)

7 Likes

Try middle-clicking a link with your scroll wheel/middle mouse button – this will automatically open any link in a new tab. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hey, THANKS @Asad, that does indeed reduce 1 click. I guess I should try the middle/scroll button more often.

I still have to go click on the new tab.

1-click options for url links should be a basic feature for a browser.

Thanks again!

6 Likes

@bjr,
You can also use ctrl + shift + click (cmd + shift + click on macOS) to open a link and switch to it in one click :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yep, thx @Mattches . :slight_smile:

argh. want. 1 link = 1-CLICK (no exta keys or clicks :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree that the focus should switch automatically to a newly opened tab or, at the least, there should be an option to do it. This is why I never stayed with the Chrome browser and why I settled on using Firefox. Although I like this Brave browser (this is my first time using it), I know I won’t use it regularly unless this option is available. It’s just that much of an annoyance. Thanks for your clearly stated request… I’m also wondering if there may be a 3rd party extension that can accomplish this.

4 Likes

If you (IMHO reasonably) expect that opening a new tab will (IMHO reasonably) shift focus to that tab, here’s the solution: use a different browser. (Firefox, Vivaldi, …)

Here’s a non-rhetorical question for the folks at Brave: Why / When would anyone ever open a new tab without intending to shift focus to that tab? This isn’t a rhetorical question.

And this isn’t a new request. What’s profoundly and perversely disappointing: in Brave’s Muon version, this was an available option:

Preferences => Tabs => Switch to new tabs immediately => toggle to activate

Somewhen around v0.56.?? the option was deprecated. Which is to say: Brave can (re-)implement this feature.

• No need to write new code.
• No need to test new code.
• No need to debug new code.
• Port the relevant Muon code to Chromium.

2 Likes

I am also looking for such a feature.

See the FireFox add on TabMix plus prior to Firefox Quantum. Slimjet browser has such a feature out of box but it looks like it can not be changed.

I appreciate if the Brave developers can implement some functions of TabMix Plus into Brave.

2 Likes

Nope. I’m happy with as it is. I guess they could add a setting for it

3 Likes

Why / When would anyone ever open a new tab without intending to shift focus to that tab? This isn’t a rhetorical question. Please give us an example.

Before Brave switched from Muon to Chromium, automatically switching focus to a newly opened tab (which seems intuitive to me) was an option. With the switch to Chromium, that option was deprecated.

2 Likes

Whenever I’m opening multiple websites from the search engine results, automatically switching to the newly opened tab is redundant. However, I think you too got a point. So the Brave team should add an option to chose whether to automatically shift or not to satisfy all users. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I concur that middle-clicking on a link should open it in a new tab AND switch to it. Until this is available, I will only be using Brave experimentally, and will stick with Firefox. It’s a long ways from perfect, and it loads slower, but it has the convenience features I want and use an untold number of times per day. If these would come to Brave, I’d seriously consider switching. And not via some hang-on extension, these features should be native to the browser. I’m tired of extensions that end up being obsolete just as you’re getting really used to and dependent on the new feature.

2 Likes

Just follow the steps in the following link. (It works if you use google as your search engine).

I hope this helps you.

1 Like

What a mess! This is why I stopped using Brave when it came out. Lots of nice improvements, but leaving a few standard features out completely.
Incredibly annoying.
So cool and yet so dumb. :frowning:

2 Likes

Shifting focus to a new tab when it’s opened should be the default. Indeed, in other browsers (including at least one that’s Chromium-based) opening a new tab shifts focus to the newly-opened tab. Adding insult to injury — rubbing salt in an unhealed wound — Brave included this option in its early Muon version.

As with some other feature requests, there’s an extension that does the job. In this case, one option is Tab Activate

Fixing this (and other issues) with extensions has potential downsides: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2020/03/the-case-for-limiting-your-browser-extensions/

2 Likes

Why hasn’t Brave added the settings option to automatically switch to the new tab when opening a link???

It is loooong over due!!!

2 Likes

What is wrong with you people… Auto switching to a clicked link needs to be default or at least an setting option…
Why the heck would I click a link if I did not want to see it?
Every browser on the planet can do it… Brave use to …
I also see you have automated censoring in effect here…
Obviously a bunch of snowflakes… and since this will probably be my one and only post here add a separate search area instead of the one humongous address bar which serves no purpose being so freaking long…
You people are obviously not nearly as smart as you give yourself credit for…

3 Likes

I miss the option to “auto switch to new link” I had with Firefox. But, I’ll never go back… Firefox (funded by Google) censors alternative websites like https://themelkshow.com and many others…

2 Likes

This is 100% the OPPOSITE of what I want. I want to middle click the scroll wheel - so the new tab opens but is NOT immediately gone to. It is frustrating as H** to have to keep coming back to my “then current” tab. I open them to view shortly, not immediately. This is wrong wrong wrong. Need the opposite to happen. Make it an option that we can choose which we want.

3 Likes

I really hope Brave adds this as an option. Since i have BAT would like to switch to Brave as default. But Its the first browser I’ve tried using that didn’t have this as an option. Would like to have all my browsers consistent on command + click to open new tab and switch immediately. Guess I’ll be sticking with Firefox for now.