Duplicate bookmarks & folders and empty bookmark folders

Bookmarks in folders get duplicated seemingly at random. Example: I have a Travel folder with travel related links. Some links are only listed once, some twice and some 3 times. It is as if I randomly copied many of the links and pasted them at the end of the list.

There are also duplicate folders that appear at the end of the list of folders in the bookmarks manager. Example: I have a folder named News, one named Weather and one named Maps. They and random other folders are duplicated at the bottom of the folder list, sometimes twice and sometimes 3 times. Sometimes the duplicated folder is empty and sometimes the folder that is in the original spot is empty.

I have been using Brave on one iMac, one Macbook Pro, an iPad and iPhone and have activated sync on all the devices. Please offer a suggestion for how to stop this from happening.
Browser:
Version 0.70.123 Chromium: 78.0.3904.97 (Official Build) (64-bit)

3 Likes

Hi @sremisz sorry for the trouble you are having, could you please send me a screen shot of your brave://sync/ so I can see some specifics of the setup? Thanks!

Here is the screenshot:

1 Like

Thanks @sremisz, would you mind trying a new example? That is, if you create a new bookmark is it syncing properly across everything and not being duplicated? The same if you create a new folder with a bookmark in it?

I created a new bookmark in an existing folder and I created a new folder and added a new bookmark to it. It has been 24 h and the new items do not sync to my iPhone or iPad. Here is a screenshot from my phone. I will not be able to check my work computer till next week.

Sync on mac os devices is whacked.

Mac A - The source. Create sync chain code. Has the bookmarks other machines should sync to.
Mac B - Added to chain, with code created above. Deleted bookmarks before adding to chain.
Android phone - Added to chain, with code created above. Deleted bookmarks before adding to chain.

Result:

Mac A: Bookmarks duplicated from other devices in the sync chain. Originally, for every 1 bookmark/folder, then had 3 of the bookmark/folder.
Mac B: Bookmarks duplicated from other devices in the sync chain. Got 3 copies of a bookmark/folder…
Android phone: Ironically, bookmarks/folders correctly imported.

Also, after some time, adding/deleting bookmark(s) on one machine would not get synced. No idea what trigger is being used to sync all devices…

Basically, sync is just fundamentally broken some where and my fix so far is to not use sync, but to import bookmarks manually using an exported bookmark html file.

2 Likes

I have had about the exact same experience with bookmarks on:
Mac Pro running OS 10.14.6
Windows 10 Pro
iPhone 11 (latest OS)
iPad Mini (also latest OS)

Chrome keeps me comming back with tab and bookmark sync. Until that’s solved I’m still stuck with them

1 Like

I’ve been having this same issue. I haven’t looked too deeply into it tbh. I just know that Brave keeps bringing back all the bookmarks I’ve deleted numerous times. Most of these bookmarks that keep coming back were never added in Brave, rather they came in when I imported them from Chrome months ago.

Im having the same issue. the bookmarks doesnt want to sync between my devices and its really annoying. i hope they will fix it soon

2 Likes

From my post above: created a new bookmark in an existing folder and I created a new folder and added a new bookmark to it. It has been 24 h and the new items do not sync to my iPhone or iPad. Here is a screenshot from my phone. I will not be able to check my work computer till next week.

They still haven’t synced to my iPhone or iPad or my work iMac. Based on these results, I would say that Sync is totally busted.

glad I’m not alone, spent ages trying to get bookmark syncing between devices working and not succeeded yet, dups, missing or just none at all!

I absolutely love Brave but the problems in this area means I still can’t ditch Chrome and move my all Ubuntu/Android/Mac/Win 10 devices over to Brave - I upgrade immediately to new version’s but still not quite there yet!

2 Likes

I have had the sync problem in the Past, and it is really annoying lately. I Bascially had to remove from my sync chain and import a good backup. In my case I mainly use the bookmark bar, with many folders with one letter names, Example A, F, G, T… Then there are folders in those folders. It seems the duplication is based off the amount of browsers in the sync chain. I have 6 devices. Two laptops, Work laptop, iPhone, and 2 Desktops. So it seems I get 6 of everything once something rejoins. The problem is also when I reorder on once PC, the other ones do not always keep everything in the same order. I loved this feature in chrome, loved when it came to Brave, but Now it is devastating. This is my build. Version 1.0.1 Chromium: 78.0.3904.108 (Official Build) (64-bit) Please get this resolved ASAP. The other thing is the browser when removed from sync, all icons deleted, then added back in, will lock up pc and use 35-75% of processor power for hours. I tried to let it sync all night, it did not help. But once I removed from sync chain, deleted all bookmarks, imported from file brave is back to normal. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.