Brave will not load any website -- not even the Brave website

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

Delete the any text above the line separator below before posting

Description of the issue:
How can this issue be reproduced?

1.Open Brave Browser
2.Home page won’t load “Aw Shucks” screen
3.Tried going to Brave website - “Aw Shucks” screen

Expected result:

Brave Version( check About Brave):
78.0.70.121 - installed 10/24/2019
Additional Information:
Working fine before new install.

5 Likes

Also having this issue when I turned on my computer this morning. I can’t provide the Brave Version as even that page is not working, nor any settings pages - just get the Aw, Snap! message.
Was working perfectly this morning and I’m not aware of any updates being installed overnight.

3 Likes

I am also having this same issue, very similar to the current chrome issue when it updated and has issues with Symantic and the current windows update.

2 Likes

Hello. I have exactly the same issue. And same issue with Chrome. Last versions of brave or chrome and old version of symantec endpoint raise this error.

For Chrome, I solve it by applying a registry modification as tell in this page : https://www.windowstechno.com/google-chrome-version-78-0-x-error-aw-snap-something-went-wrong-while-displaying-this-web-page-when-using-a-symantec-endpoint-protection-version-older-than-14-2/

But I can’t figure how to apply the same trick for Brave.

If someone knows, it will be very helpfull !

1 Like

Same problem with “aw shucks” starting 10/24 soon after a PCMatic screening. Tried what Brave website recommended, with no success. Could not get access to cache to try to clear. Did clear new extensions which seemed to have been added, but nothing helped. Did restart, uninstall, reinstall multiple times etc over an almost 24 hour period with no success.

I have no issues with Chrome (using it now) but can’t do anything with Brave

Find Brave.exe
Right click on it -> Properties -> Compatibility -> Activate compatibility mode with Windows 8. This is a temporary fix, change it back when an update rolls out.

There are more ways to fix it, like changing registry keys, but this is the most simple one.

5 Likes

Thanks, that gets Brave working again (although slowly).
Brave Version:
Version 0.70.121 Chromium: 78.0.3904.70 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Thanks a lot. Brave is now functional for me with this trick

Brave seems to be pretty well broken. I have uninstalled multiple times and still I get Aw Snap message. I can’t clear cache and it just won’t work. Is there anyway to get REAL technical support. I love Brave but if it doesn’t work, it is useless.

1 Like

Please see my message above and try the workaround i provided.

1 Like

I have decided to uninstall Brave. Help is useless, can’t do what it tells me, and I’m tired of wasting my time. Back to Firefox, reluctantly. Because I’m a computer clutz, it’s going to cost me $$$ to get this done.

1 Like

Help is not useless. I won’t try to convince you to get back, i’m no Brave dev, but if you still want to try something, open windows explorer and put this in the adress bar : %ProgramFiles(x86)%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application

It will lead you to the .exe, and then you can follow my post above.

1 Like

I’m having a lesser but similar issue on mobile. Happened when I loaded up a OnePlus website and it kept failing. It’s not widespread though as I can go to some other sites and it still works. This is on mobile. Not sure if this is exclusively Brave failing yet but it sure sounds like something went wrong based on this thread. Hope it doest get worse for me or I’ll be in the same boat of having to dump the app.

Hello everyone!
Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention. This is likely an issue with the Chromium backend but we’ll need some more information in order to diagnose the issue.

For anyone experiencing this, can you please do the following:

1. In the address bar, type in brave://crashes – you should see a page that looks like this
  2. If you don’t have automatic crash reporting enabled, click the Send now link for your most recent crashes.
  3. Then, return here with the crash report IDs – copy and pasting the text directly would be preferred.

We can then look further into the issue on our end. We appreciate your help and patience :slight_smile:

Tried this just get the Aw, Snap screen. No go!

Thanks for the tip! Win8 appears to be working.

same Issue this morning

After error in switchyomega proxy extension, no settings page loads anymore:

For anyone here encountering this issue – can you please tell me what version of Symantec Endpoint protection you’re running?

It seems as though the issue is resolved for many users by simply updating to SEP v14.2 or later.
If this option does not work or SEP isn’t updating for some reason, please let me know and we can walk through adding the appropriate registry key to your machine to workaround the issue.

1 Like