Brave weird performance on nvidia

Description of the issue:
Setting “Background Application Max Frame Rate” in the Nvidia control panel to any value will apply to Brave browser all the time resulting in performance issues

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Set “Background Application Max Frame Rate” to 30 fps in Nvidia control panel
  2. Restart Brave browser (it will feel more sluggish)
  3. Visit testufo.com
  4. TestUFO will now report only 30fps

Expected result:
The performance should stay the same

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.52.130 Chromium: 114.0.5735.198

@Napert this has been reported already and I’m not sure if much to be done. You can check Github at https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/23254

I’ll tag @Mattches on it in case he can respond more later and maybe get it to devs attention. However, I’m going to assume it’s mainly Nvidia you need to contact. Earlier this year on that Github, person responded with info below:

I’ll also direct you to a similar topic that was created, which might have some helpful info for you:

Of course, part of what Mattches and all found out was that disabling hardware acceleration resolved the issue, but it’s not necessarily an ideal solution. So as link says above, you can also set Brave as an exception.

And with what I’m seeing in different places, it might be that people need to contact NVIDIA about it directly. This is especially the case since it’s said not to happen with Chrome, Edge, or Firefox but supposedly does happen with Vivaldi and Brave. It just means they have exceptions or whatever set to their driver.

Heck, maybe just changing to chrome.exe as people have been doing with AMD might be able to make a difference for you. You can see more about that at https://www.neowin.net/news/yandex-alleges-amds-windows-drivers-unfairly-favor-google-chrome-microsoft-edge/

@Napert,
Can you tell me if nvidia is recognizing Brave Browser as a game anywhere?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.