Slow overall performance

I was happy to switch to a browser that protects privacy, but I’m finding that the performance is so incredibly slow. I frequently get stutters between switching tabs and especially when watching videos. It’s having me second guess whether I can stick it out with the browser.

I’m using Win 10 Pro x64 w/ an Intel Core i7 and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070.

I used Chrome prior to this and never had the same hitches, so I’m just confused as to what is causing this terrible performance.

Brave Version: Version 1.18.78 Chromium: 87.0.4280.141

1 Like

@amirebrahimi,
Can you try disabling Hardware Acceleration in settings to see if this resolves the issue?

You’ll find this in Settings --> Additional Settings --> System --> Hardware Acceleration

Okay. I’ll try that out. Thank you.

Night and day difference, @Mattches . That’s unfortunate though because does this mean that things like WebGL won’t be using hardware acceleration now? Also, I never had this issue with Chrome, so why does it affect Brave?

1 Like

@amirebrahimi,
Can I ask if you have any extensions installed in the browser?

Yes, I do have extensions installed, but also had extensions installed in Chrome. Seeing as we’ve now identified hardware acceleration to be the culprit - what are your thoughts?

I’m wondering if HWA is conflicting with an extension in some way, causing the slow performance and whether the same issues would persist if you were to just run Brave alone + HWA enabled.

Can you pull up (side by side) chrome://gpu in both Brave and Chrome?

I’m curious what differences there are (if any). I know Chrome will reach out to their experiment server and may turn on flags. Comparing chrome://gpu will help us understand some of those differences

The page (besides showing all the GPU information) has a Copy report to Clipboard button that can be used. Having a copy of Brave vs Chrome would be helpful for me to debug (you should be able to attach or share w/ me in a DM)

1 Like

Thanks, @clifton. I’ll DM you.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.