Brave taking over metamask issue

Description of the issue:

I have beeen using brave for a few years and never had an issue. I have had my metamask extension in place and happily using opensea and other application. Today i am unable to log into opensea, as soon as i click the metamask connection icon it takes me directly to brave wallet (which i dont want) and there is no option to stop it. I dont want to use the brave wallet. It hasn’t been an issue up to this point, i dont know why its just started?

Are you using the (new) Brave Wallet or the (old) Crypto wallets implementation?

How can this issue be reproduced?

Brave Version (check About Brave):

Additional Information:

Hi and welcome to the community.

I have a few questions if you don’t mind answering.

Question1: What is your Default cryptocurrency wallet setting in brave://settings/wallet? I’m just wondering if that has any impact.

Source: Brave Help Center/Brave Wallet FAQ.

Why isn’t my MetaMask or other extension not working with Dapps?

Dapps work by communicating with a special object that Brave Wallet and extensions like MetaMask provide named window.ethereum. Only one wallet can provide window.ethereum to websites. In Brave, we expose a setting in brave://settings/wallet to be able to change which wallet provides window.ethereum. Here’s a description of each setting:

• Brave Wallet (Prefer extensions) - This is the default. Brave Wallet will expose window.ethereum but allow other extensions such as MetaMask to overwrite it.
  • Brave Wallet - Exposes window.ethereum and prevents sites and extensions from changing window.ethereum .
  • Crypto Wallets (Deprecated) - Gives access to the old deprecated wallet. This option is not compatible with other extensions such as MetaMask.
  • None - window.ethereum will not be provided by Brave Wallet at all. If you have extensions such as MetaMask, is is free to use window.ethereum .

After changing the default wallet, it is best to restart your browser. Why?

• If you had Crypto Wallets loaded, it won’t be unloaded until the next restart. When Crypto Wallets is loaded it will not work properly with other extensions trying to access window.ethereum .
  • Existing already opened tabs will not change to use the new wallet setting, you need a new tab or a browser restart.

Question2: What OS and Brave Browser version are you using? (first three lines in brave://version)

Question3: This one may seem silly, but have you checked if your Metamask extension is enabled? There was a version update yesterday which may have impacted your setting… stranger things have happened. lol This topic has a section on how to able/disable extensions. How can I add extensions to Brave?

Finally (yes, I am long-winded :laughing:) here is a recent topic that is “reverse related” (if that makes sense) but it may also provide additional information.

There are other topics out there but most are older. With all the Brave Wallet changes in the new update, I would hesitate to use older topics for solutions,. That’s me though. Just search the forums using keywords “opensea” and/or “metamask” to pull them up and look at if you want.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.