Brave opens than closes immediately after

**Description of the issue:
when i launched brave today it worked fine i come back and it just opens and than closes. I didn’t install any new programs. I tried renaming the “user data” folder but it didn’t do anything. I also tried to delete the “first run” “last browser” “last version” “local state” etc it would work again but if i open a new tab it would just close. also i checked the crashpad folder and went to reports each time i’ve opened the browser today it makes a new dump.

**Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.43.88 Chromium: 105.0.5195.68 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information: edit: I managed to get it to work but my sync doesn’t work along with my saved passwords, let me know how i can fix this.

Edit:
Try this it worked for me.
Go to windows search type in %appdata% hit enter
Now you will go to the top and click on “AppData”
Go to “Local”
In “Local” find the “BraveSoftware” folder click on it
Inside of the “braveSoftware” folder click on “Brave-Browser”
now you should have a folder named “user data” rename the folder it doesn’t matter what the new name is
once renamed try and open the brave browser, it should make a new “User Data” folder now if brave crashed go into the newly created “User Data” folder and delete the last NON FOLDER files. With those files deleted it will remake them when opening brave again which it shouldn’t crash (as for me it didn’t crash)

Edit: One last thing by renaming the “user data” folder and opening brave, That renamed folder copies all the data in it to the new non-renamed one as there should be no data loss (all my stuff was there just no saved passwords) with the saved passwords i had to use sync which was already setup on my phone so copying it over isn’t too hard. Now if you do get your browser to open and not crash/close instantly and you have this message going to the sync tab “Brave could not access your operating systems safe storage” you will have to use “brave://sync-internals” you just type that in the url and hit enter. It will pop up with the sync settings there’s 3 boxes “Request Start” “Stop Sync (Keep Data)” & Disable Sync (Clear Data) click on “Request Start” than going back the sync tab it should show your sync options or if you never set it up it should just be the default start up page.
hope this helps people with this annoying issue

this guys video was a little help

2 Likes

This is happening for me as well on one device. My other 2 devices crash when clicking on Shields within settings.

3 Likes

The same thing is happening to me, it just started recently and I didn’t change any configurations before it started happening or anything.

I had to change new tab page to a blank page, otherwise it crashes immediately when it tries to load the new tab dashboard.

If the dashboard is set as the start page, it crashes upon starting the browser instantly and you have to open a URL in Brave before start up, to bypass the crash and change the start up page to something else.

Hm interesting, when i launch now it just crashes instantly no way to change or do anything.

1 Like

Could you provide your crash report found here: AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Crashpad\reports

Thanks!

1 Like

same issue here on windows 11, the issue can be mitigated by opening a in private session and then selecting open new window but the browser seems to crash when you open a new tab or open a new tab in a new window, the issue is definitely caused by a recent update since it didnt happen yesterday the crash dump file type isnt supported to upload here

update: private tabs can be opened without issue it only seems to affect regular tabs and windows

1 Like

I’m having the same issue too on Win 11. I also noticed that the reload and bookmark buttons are always greyed out (same with the extensions button and hamburger menu button), but still function like normal. I uninstalled Brave and reinstalled it and the issue still persists. The only way I can access my browser is to set the new tab page to blank.
Screenshot 2022-09-02 105138
Screenshot 2022-09-02 105458

Same for me. Mine started this morning about 9am est.

edit:
It crashes instantly when opening new tab. I tried uninstalling and then renaming the brave folder in program files, then reinstalling. Still no bueno.

Going into brave://flags/ and hitting the reset button to make everything default seems to have fixed it, allowing the dashboard to load again.

If you can’t get to these settings without crashing, try launching Brave in incognito/private window mode.

2 Likes

yep that seems to have fixed it for me aswell, not sure what caused that issue though

If convenient, please share your crash IDs in this open issue: https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/25156

Thanks everyone!

dont have a github account but here are some crash report ID:s
b9370300-74c0-c508-0000-000000000000
b6370300-74c0-c508-0000-000000000000
b2370300-74c0-c508-0000-000000000000
af370300-74c0-c508-0000-000000000000
ad370300-74c0-c508-0000-000000000000
a8370300-74c0-c508-0000-000000000000
a5370300-74c0-c508-0000-000000000000
a4370300-74c0-c508-0000-000000000000
8e370300-74c0-c508-0000-000000000000
7b370300-74c0-c508-0000-000000000000
73370300-74c0-c508-0000-000000000000

@Wolfrocket check out the Topic over at Brave crashes on startup trying to make new tab, and when creating new tab, crashes

Not sure if any of it might help you, but wanted to make sure you’re aware.

1 Like

@coolfish2
Try this it worked for me.
Go to windows search type in %appdata% hit enter
Now you will go to the top and click on “AppData”
Go to “Local”
In “Local” find the “BraveSoftware” folder click on it
Inside of the “braveSoftware” folder click on “Brave-Browser”
now you should have a folder named “user data” rename the folder it doesn’t matter what the new name is
once renamed try and open the brave browser, it should make a new “User Data” folder now if brave crashed go into the newly created “User Data” folder and delete the last NON FOLDER files. With those files deleted it will remake them when opening brave again which it shouldn’t crash (as for me it didn’t crash)

Edit: One last thing by renaming the “user data” folder and opening brave, That renamed folder copies all the data in it to the new non-renamed one as there should be no data loss (all my stuff was there just no saved passwords) with the saved passwords i had to use sync which was already setup on my phone so copying it over isn’t too hard. Now if you do get your browser to open and not crash/close instantly and you have this message going to the sync tab “Brave could not access your operating systems safe storage” you will have to use “brave://sync-internals” you just type that in the url and hit enter. It will pop up with the sync settings there’s 3 boxes “Request Start” “Stop Sync (Keep Data)” & Disable Sync (Clear Data) click on “Request Start” than going back the sync tab it should show your sync options or if you never set it up it should just be the default start up page.
hope this helps people with this annoying issue

1 Like

Does anyone know how to resolve this on a Mac?

I uninstalled Brave and re-installed it. It worked fine afterwards. However, I started modifying the brave://flags and then it started crashing again. I haven’t narrowed down to which one since I changed quite a few.

1 Like

Thank You!!!

You are a good person!

1 Like

Let me know if it worked

This situation has been happening to me for about 5 months until recently on my MacBook Pro mid 2012 with 8GB RAM on Catalina system, to the point that now it is no longer possible to use Brave Browser. It is totally useless to try to use it because it closes by itself a few seconds after opening it, without having any other program open.
This is really frustrating, I have already made all the recommendations indicated, uninstalled and reinstalled without any favorable result.
I had to migrate to another browser on macOS, although on Windows 10 and Android 12 everything works perfectly.

this solution worked for me after doing this I have yet to run into any other problems

try opening a private window then going to flags and resetting it