Brave crashed and wouldnt open properly

Description of the issue:
Brave crashed while using it without error or warning. When attempting to reopen the browser it would briefly open then close, and task manager showed that as well, the process was ending.

If I opened a new window in private mode or guest it would work. But I had 300+ tabs open and would love to be able to recover them or at least see the URLs so I can recover my progress.

I renamed my userdata folder so that I could open Brave again successfully, this did resolve my issue of not being able to open Brave. But obviously lost all work and open tabs. When I attempted to sync with my account it stated that my sync code was an old version of Brave and would not work. I also tried another desktop and sync wouldnt allow me to add my device either. Eventually I got my mobile to recover and sync back to my desktop.

All I am looking to do is find out what tabs were open or URLs so that I can continue my work and research.

How can this issue be reproduced?

To be honest I dont know how to reproduce the primary problem as the browser just crashed and would not reopen, but I will include that attempted process

  1. Double click to open Brave/ or right click and open my profile/ or navigate to Brave.exe
  2. brave.exe would run for approximately 1 second and end

Expected result:

Expect Brave to open without error and using my existing profile

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.59.117 Chromium: 118.0.5993.70 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:

The main goal of this submission is to find out how to view the URLs I once had open. It is not possible to go through my history as this work and research spanned over 6 months, so somehow I would already have to know which of those tabs were open from my history covering 6 months (not feasible).

After syncing Brave again my settings were back to default, I just experienced a crash when changing back my settings to “Vertical Tabs”, not sure if this is related to the original crash, but it continues to crash Brave if I attempt to set vertical tabs.

In my crashpad folder I see these dump files that occurred at the time of the crash:
-7bd962fc-ac0a-40a8-93ca-4f48305a4999
-7cfd3e7c-b6b0-4549-9196-174a93bd0662
-b6716e97-58a0-4c8f-b97a-4650647d7bf5
-0e66954e-b1b2-4136-b0ba-81f583a81320

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.