Youtube live chat 30 sec delay

for me the delay is random, really random, some times 1000+ people in the chat loads instantly while other times, streams with only 10 people in chat takes a while

My experience is consistent with a 20-25 sec delay on live streams. Chrome and Vivaldi have no such delay and it is not extension related.

1 Like

I think I finally found a work around for this bug, at least for my setup on Manjaro Linux. Instead of the official repo version, I installed an appimage version. Instant live YT chat has returned.
Fingers crossed, it behaves. BTW the appimage version is 146.153 compared to main 147 but a small delay in updates is to be expected.

With me on Windows 10, I am trying the Vivaldi browser as my primary browser. It is working fine. Still have Brave installed for now. I view 3 to 4 live streams a day and no more reminders of this nagging bug

Apologies for letting this thread slip through the cracks. That said, I honesty am not sure what would be causing it as nobody on the team can reproduce it. @fedup would it be possible for you to get some console output data for us to review when viewing a YT live stream?

1. Visit youtube.com then open dev tools console menu (Menu --> More tools --> Dev tools --> Console)
  2. Select a live stream
  3. Wait for the chat to load, then screenshot any console output listed and share it here in this thread

@Mattches I did that months ago and posted it to the Github thread I created. I heard nothing from any of the devs there.

Doesn’t jump out enough because you had it kind of hidden in text link. lol. Let me do full link here below for Mattches to see.

@Mattches interestingly enough, it seems that Luke mentioned seeing something from it when he checked last month. What was seen it beyond me. I now I had seen back then something as well, which was in screenshot below

@fedup Would kind of get my curiosity though. If you were to go pull up the Console now, do you get the same info or might it have changed?

@Mattches It is still happening. If I go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfKfPfyJRdk which is the test stream. It may display the chat fine. However, if I stop the stream and clear the cache and reload the page the issue shows up.

The issue was happening the majority of the times when I was using Brave as my main browser when I simply went to a live stream which had a live chat. It did not matter how many people were in the chat.

I captured the console output but it is too large to post here. Can I include it as a TXT file?

@Mattches

Here is the devtools dump. When this issue happens I notice that Brave shows waiting for rr5…googlevideo.com

Brave YouTube live chat issue dump.txt (400.6 KB)

1 Like

@Mattches
The previous dump was captured on a empty profile with no extensions in Brave
Version 1.48.132 Chromium: 109.0.5414.87 (Official Build) beta (64-bit).

This dump was captured on my regular Brave profile from another live stream. Same issue

Brave YouTube live chat issue dump regular profile.txt (132.8 KB)

1 Like

I spoke too soon. The appimage is now doing the 30 sec delay too. This really is irritating.

Despite the “feedback” I received via the subreddit it certainly is irritating having to deal with this issue multiple times a day.

I assume the Linux version of Brave does not afford you access to the Devtools console? If it does, perhaps posting a dump per Mattches instructions further up will help Brave find the issue.

Perhaps. Keep in mind they generally don’t work on the weekends. Hopefully he checks on it when comes back during the week.

Right but more dumps from different people perhaps will point to a common point in the negotiation that is being done during the connection to YouTube.

1 Like

@fedup,
Can you please share the reddit link with me you’re referring to? I am not seeing it. Further, any dumps or additional information should be directed to the Github issue we have for this here:

It does.

@Mattches What Reddit post are you referring to? The only one I remember posting there was this one mentioning this issue.

Keep alive post for this thread.

1 Like

@Mattches
This issue may be YT running preroll ads on live streams. I fired up MS Edge Beta today and it had what seemed to be a 30-60 second ad on a live stream. During the first 20 seconds of the ad the live chat would not populate. Once the ad reached a certain point the live chat showed up.

1 Like

Will forward this information to the ad-blocking team for further review.

Happening to me as well. seek this post for my brave and windows 10 setup.