Youtube live chat 30 sec delay

Hi @fedup @Gerry_Wicklow

Apologies for the delay to respond to this issue. I did take a look at your github issue and your post on Reddit for reference.

Unfortunately, I am unable to replicate this issue consistently on v1.44 or higher across Stable, Beta or Nightly. Not seeing this issue (or as consistently) on Chrome and Firefox.

It could quite possibly be something on Google/Youtube’s end that MIGHT be attributing to this.
CC: @Mattches for thoughts

@SaltyBanana
The problem is occurring in a new profile which I assume eliminates the extensions I have installed in my normal profile. It is occurring on the test stream in a new profile without me being logged into my YouTube account. If the chat does populate without a 20 second delay in this new profile (without logging into YT) then if I

1. Stop the video playing
  2. Clear the cache for all time in this new profile
  3. Force a reload of the page for the test viideo play again
  4. The live chat takes 20 seconds to populate
  5. This happens with and without Brave shields enabled

I have noticed on occasion with Brave shields off when clearing the cache and then forcing a reload on the video causes an ad to play before the video. Other times it does not.

@fedup,
Very strange — wondering if this is a hardware acceleration issue? Worth trying while I dig into this — can you try disabling Hardware Acceleration in settings to see if this resolves the issue?

You’ll find this in Settings --> Additional Settings --> System --> Hardware Acceleration

@Mattches Hardware acceleration has been disabled in all of the Brave browsers here forever. I was primarily using the beta build as my main browser and switched to Nightly to see if that build would have some fix pushed through it that would fix the issue. It of course has not.

I did see a warning, that non-logged in users would see a delay in chat showing.

@fanboynz
I am normally always logged into my YT account.

In the new profile, I logged into my YT and went through the same series of steps I mentioned 4 hours ago. Same results Clearing cache forcing a reload on the stream with the video stopped the chat takes 20 seconds to populate. Brave shields were enabled for that test.

Is this perhaps something to do with preroll ads on streams being blocked. Just throwing that out there.

@Gerry_Wicklow
In case anyone is interested I have been responding w cliff_start29 in the Brave subreddit thread regarding this frustrating issue.

@fanboynz @Gerry_Wicklow @Matches
I uninstalled Brave Nightly and deleted the BraveNightly directory under USER\AppAData. I downloaded the current Version 1.47.33 Chromium. Went to a YT live stream. The chat loaded fine. HOWEVER if I paused the video playback and reloaded the page the chat failed to load. The same thing happened when I was logged into my YT account.

This is exactly the same behavoir I am seeing in all 3 Brave builds here.

NOTE:
In this reinstall of Brave Nightly there

1. NO extensions installed
  2. No Syncing was performed

This behavior of stopping the video playback and reloading the page and having the chat take 20 seconds to load does not happen in CHROME, MS EDGE BETA nor FIREFOX.

If this was being caused by some other application installed on this computer would that effect be seen on other chromium browsers at least?

I have tested the Brave release on another newly built system here. New profiles were used with the test stream. There was no additional software installed on the system nor were any extensions installed in any of the browsers tested on this newly built system,

Bringing up any live stream on YouTube that had live chat enabled, in Brave with Brave shield enabled or disabled caused the delay even if I was logged into YouTube account. Reloading the page or clearing the cache did not help, This did not happen in MS Edge, Chrome or Firefox.

Posting this here in the feeble hope that if other users have the same issue they will know it is not them but something to do with Brave

1 Like

Keep thread alive post. The issue is still happening.

Keeping this 3-month-old thread alive.

Update:
This is definitely a Brave issue. As it has garnered very little response from Brave support and nothing over on GitHub I have installed Vivaldi browser and like Chrome it has no such issue with Youtube live stream chats loading as soon as the video. This is with all the same extensions and settings for those extensions that Brave has. At least with Vivaldi as my main browser, I can admin those live YT chats that I have to.

And still no sign of any attempt to fix this bug :frowning:

Nope, and I don’t know if it ever will be fixed. Because for that to happen someone who has the knowledge and ability to fix it would actually have to look at the issue.

I hate to see something not work the way it should but I am a lowly end user who posted reams of feedback and is just fed up day in and day out seeing this issue glaring back at me. I found a solution. Switch browsers which in turn lowered my frustration/stress level. I suspect I am not alone in this decision.

Edit
Had to revert back to Brave from the other browser. Noticed slow responsiveness doing daily tasks. I guess I was just switching one frustration for another.

1 Like

Hi Fedup! I am probably from a different Region, with a different PC and different internet connection (shotty one, at that).

I can confirm I have this issue as well as of 19th of December of 2022. I thought it could be my internet but the live video started super fast without problems. As well as the rest of the page.

I did see that 7TV didn’t pop up and worked. So I uninstalled it, closed browser, and reinstalled. Before this, I opened a private window to test the stream I was watching, and it loaded everything fast (no shields, no uBlock, no extensions enabled). However, when I refreshed to try this out as some of you mentioned, it did take longer to load the chat.

When I installed 7TV again (now working without issues) and went back to the normal window, it took a bit but not as much as before. So I take it there’s something funky going on with refresh-constant reloads of the pages.

All in all, it IS a very minor issue all things considered so I am sticking with my “1 month serious try of Brave” before going back to Edge. So far so good, I might just stay, even though there are some things lacking on this browser. Things like “right click task bar icon → new private window”. Weird. Besides that, I like it and hope the devs read the feedback we give and keep improving it.

Appreciate you taking the time and effort to post a reply confirming that you are also seeing this behavior. When one has problems such as this you wonder if it is something to do with the installation resulting in countless hours testing. Always nice to see others reporting similar issues and thereby confirming that the issue is not localized to my computer alone.

1 Like

You mean this?

Not sure why you wouldn’t be seeing it if you’re saying that’s missing.

1 Like

Can confirm this also happens to me and has been an issue for a few months at least.
Using Version 1.46.144 Chromium: 108.0.5359.128 (Official Build) (64-bit)

The chat loads almost instantly when opening a private window. I then tried to login to my youtube account in that same private window and the chat takes 15+ seconds to populate as it does in normal sessions

1 Like

This also happens to me on Windows 11 machine with Brave version 1.46.144.
It always takes 15-20 sec until the youtube live chat appears no matter how many times I reset my Brave settings as well as uninstalled all extensions.

Another observation is that I use multiple monitors, the youtube chat also disappear when I move a Brave windows from one monitor to another and I have to wait another 15 sec until the live chat appears again.

1 Like

Yep, exactly that. The “recently closed” and “most visited” also don’t show for me. I wouldn’t know why. But I like to know that works, just doesn’t for me. This however is not on topic so can be dismissed :smiley:

right click the brave icon from the popup menu