Youtube live chat 30 sec delay

@ScrapBlox
Thanks for adding your voice to this thread. It was getting lonely. If you can spread the word to other brave users so that this issue can get some steam fix wise.

This bug is so annoying. I really hope it getā€™s fixed soon. if not they I may just change browsers

@ScrapBlox
I use YT live streams daily that have live chats and every time I do I am reminded of this 7 month old bug. I notice Vivaldi has no issue and there probably other browsers out there that work fine and still block ads.

It has been 7 months since I posted re this issue as well as filing the bug report on GitHub. No further response from Brave other than the bug is tossed into the backlog of bugs in the Browser to fix.

I have seen this issue occur on multiple systems here. Two of them were clean installs of Brave on Windows 10 with no browser extensions. I often wonder how many other Brave users see this issue on YT live streams and have no idea it is a Brave issue.

The 20 second delay for the YT chat populating is not just limited to YT Live streams but also to recordings of those live streams where the chat is visible in the recording.

Sigh. This is even happening in Brave Version 1.53.5 Chromium: 113.0.5672.53 (Official Build) nightly (64-bit). If you go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfKfPfyJRdk and force a reload of the page the chat will take 20+ seconds to show up. Out of 10 forced reloads on the page 6 of the 10 reloads caused the chat to take 20+ seconds to populate!!

1 Like

lol still happening till this day. may be iā€™m not lucky enough to use this good looking browser.

Yup this 7-month-old issue is still happening in Brave. Vivaldi and Chrome and of course Firefox have no such issue. No idea if or when Brave will fix this nagging issue.

1 Like

BUMP. Still no sign of anyone fixing this damn annoying bug.

This bug may be having a birthday come Sept 2023. It is now 8 months since Brave introduced something in their release, beta and nightly builds that caused this frustrating bug. There are probably a lot more people experiencing the issue and donā€™t realize it is a brave bug. Chrome and Vivaldi have no such issue. Neither of course does Firefox which I have been using.

Imagine being a content creator doing live streams with chats and you have to wait 20 seconds to interact with or moderate your audience. That 20 seconds seem like an eternity.

I was reminded over the weekend that a 2+ year old bug in Brave mobile on iOS still has not been fixed wrt interacting with password managers. If that type of bug has not been resolved I doubt this YT annoying bug will ever be fixed.

I have posted several Console dumps in the Github report and received no official response from Brave. The same goes for me trying to get Brave & bravesupport attention on Twitter. The silence is deafening.

Had been using Brave since 2018. It was a good run.

1 Like

If a live stream has an issue loading the chat when one starts playing the stream, the symptom also occurs if you then hide the chat and then try to show the chat. You have to wait 20+ seconds for the chat to show up. If the stream has no such issue when initially playing it then hiding and show chat works as expected.

@sampson and @clifton I want to tag the two of you on this. Been going on a while and have to admire the persistence of Fedup to keep this going and hoping for help. I know Iā€™ve been able to replicate it in the past, as have others. Not sure where the issue is though or what can be done. Just hoping maybe you might have ideas on it.

@fedup Just a FYI, I had Clifton reach out to me using a different contact method. He let me know this is outside of his domain, so not the right person to tag. That said, he passed it on to the web compatibility team and Fanboynz advised heā€™s still looking into it.

Thatā€™s about all I know at this point. Not sure how close they are to unraveling the mystery. Btw, I forget (and too lazy right now to read all prior comments), if you try on Chrome or other browsersā€¦did you say this issue doesnā€™t happen? Trying to think if itā€™s a Chromium thing, YouTube only issue across all browsers, or if itā€™s only Brave where this is happening.

@Saoiray Vivaldi and Chrome have no such issue. I believe MS Edge had similar issues. Of course Firefox has no issue and which is the browser I revert to when I get fedup with Brave due to multiple YT streams I have moderate exhibit this issue.

I mentioned here that this issue is probably more widespread but end users do not realize the chat delay issue is Brave related.

Hi folks - including @fedup

Looking at this now with some webcompat experts. Sharing findings in the issue we have tracking this. I have some initial findings here:

Keep alive post, The F12 and disabling cache before loading live streams with chats is only a workaround.

still no progress. Devs too busy adding features no one wants

1 Like

Well if one opens the Developerā€™s console (F12) and clicks on the Network tab at the top and Disable cache the live chats load properly. The problem is that you have to do this from Youtube subscription page BEFORE you click on any live videos.

It prevents you from simply clicking on notifications for live events unless you want to way the 20 seconds for the chat to load.

Still using the F12 to bring up Dev console so that cache is disabled. Keep alive post for this 10 month old issue.

i thought this issue was new, but 10 months?!

Yup I first encountered it back in Sept 2022 and for months thought it was my install

Any updates on this issue?