YouTube Live Chat does not appear during and after livestreams and premieres, but reappears with shields off

Description of the issue: When entering a livestream or premiere, past or present, the live chat doesn’t show up. There isn’t an error or anything, it’s just not even there, as if a blocked element. And sure enough, with shields off, it’s there, so it’s a blocked element. I don’t know which, though.

Exact URL of the website in question

Did the issue present with default Shields settings? Yes

Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off? Yes

Is there a specific Shields configuration that causes the site to break? If so, tell us that configuration. I don’t know how to do special configurations. Tried looking at advanced settings and that didn’t lead anywhere.

Brave version (check About Brave): Version 1.31.87 Chromium: 95.0.4638.54 (Official Build) (64-bit)

@chronoquairium,
Are you using Windows or macOS? On my end, I see YT chats appear as intended. As for Shields settings, I would recommend visiting a video with a live chat and try toggling off/adjusting different individual Shields settings in the Shields panel to test and see which protection may be causing the issue:

I’m using Windows 10 Pro. This is the current video I’m testing on. I can confirm that “Trackers & Ads” is both the only category with any blocks and also the source of the issue, as changing it to “allow all trackers and ads” brings the live chat up again.

@chronoquairium,
Thank you for the information – I’ll reach out to our web compatibility team to take a look at this. Appreciate your patience.

cc @fanboynz

Some extra information - there are 11 trackers seemingly blocked, listed here (though cut off), as well as a new one appearing every 20-30 seconds that appears to be based on amount of time on the page, and seems to be unrelated to the issue at hand, especially since they’re not there at page start.

I would clear the cookies and cache, then relogin into youtube via brave://settings/clearBrowserData. I just tested the sample site, comments and chat loaded here. @chronoquairium

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.