Xdg-open Error when trying to open external apps

Description of the issue:
When clicking on a link, like within the web based version of slack. The correct action should be that it opens up the slack workspace in my local client. I receive an error pointing to unable to xdg-open

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
RHEL 7.7, Slack desktop client installed
Open slack in the brave browser
Click on a message link

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Expected result:
Should open my slack desktop client

Reproduces how often:
Every time

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
RHEL 7.7
Version 1.1.23 Chromium: 79.0.3945.88 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:

That’s not an error, you’re supposed to click Open xdg-open, which would open the associated client. On Linux, you assign an app to a protocol. The slack protocol should be associated to your slack client.

Right, it does not actually open the client - it just goes out into open space.
Works fine in firefox, that what makes me think its something with a brave setup/option.

@kramer9,
Slack works for me without issue, but I’m not on a Linux-based OS. On your system, is Brave set as your default browser by chance?

cc @sriram for more info.

Hello - it is.image

That is OS level default applications. You should be able to see an entry for slack in brave://settings/handlers which may not be set. Try resetting the handlers and see if it fixes. Also just noticed you are on a really old version of Brave. Current stable release is 1.5.115 but you are on 1.1.23. I’d suggest you update to the latest version and give it a try

I do think this is it You should be able to see an entry for slack in brave://settings/handlers which may not be set. - I do not have any entries. But I also installed Brave via snap and I there are no update options there (my desktop is RHEL 7.7) - should I take a different approach to installing brave to pick up the updates? Any guidance on how to address the handlers?

@kramer9,
Definitely install Brave via the Linux install instructions found here:
https://brave-browser.readthedocs.io/en/latest/installing-brave.html#linux

ok - once I get dnf installed and running (lot harder then you would think sadly), I will export my bookmarks, reinstall brave, and install with dnf not snap.

1 Like

Same problem here but with a different app, Myki. It pulls it up but doesn’t actually login/sync. Really irritating.

I forgot about brave not supporting RHEL, so the DNF installation path for me was not a solution. Anyone know how to set the handlers?

I have the same problem with Brave v1.5.115 in Ubuntu 18.04.

I’m not able to open anything via xdg-open, none of the links works while they do work perfectly on Chrome.

I mainly test the Zoom links.

Also, Brave always seems it’s not the default browser while it is defined in the system settings.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.