Xdg-open does nothing on Ubuntu focal

Description of the issue:
Using the postman application (snap install postman) to get an auth token, it goes through the standard oauth 2 handshake.

It initially complained about popups not being enabled, which I then enabled.

Next it brought up the xdg-open dialog box, but once clicking on xdg-open, it does nothing.
I actually clicked on the check box to say “always use xdg-open for this site” but I can’t find the setting to remove it so the dialog shows again. I’d like to know where that setting is too.

I copied the url, and in a terminal ran xdg-open <big url with callback and that worked as expected. So I know that the application has correctly registered whatever xdg-open callback it needs.

It seems that the problem is in the brave execution of xdg-open.

Expected result:

Postman auth would complete due to xdg-open working.

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Version 1.22.71 Chromium: 89.0.4389.114 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Hi @thumper :slight_smile: good to see you here!

That’s an interesting one. I looked in brave://settings/handlers and brave://settings/content/siteDetails and I can’t find it either. I’ve asked on our internal Slack and I’ll get back to you once I get an answer.

I’m not sure what kind of links postman registers so I can’t test this myself, but a few things that would be helpful in getting to the bottom of this are:

1. Start brave-browser from the command line and see if you get any terminal messages when xdg-open fails to start postman.
  2. Try opening the same link in Chrome or Chromium if you have those installed.
  3. Try installing apparmor-notify and running aa-notify to see if there are any messages related to AppArmor blocking the execution. (You may also be able to see that in the dmesg ouput.)

Running brave-browser from the command line emitted this event.

[2296559:0415/172118.494700:FATAL:setuid_sandbox_host.cc(157)] The SUID sandbox helper binary was found, but is not configured correctly. Rather than run without sandboxing I’m aborting now. You need to make sure that /snap/postman/133/usr/share/Postman/chrome-sandbox is owned by root and has mode 4755.

❯ ll /snap/postman/133/usr/share/Postman/chrome-sandbox 
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 5581136 Jul 15  2020 
/snap/postman/133/usr/share/Postman/chrome-sandbox*

Hm, that’s odd. It looks like Postman’s sandbox can’t start when it’s called from another Chromium browser. Did you try starting Postman from Chromium/Chrome?

Also can you share a screenshot of your brave://sandbox/? I’m wondering whether your copy of Brave is using the namespace sandbox (preferred) or the SUID one (same as Postman).

One more thing: did you install Brave using our PPA or from Snapcraft?

Installed from the PPA.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.