Why is Brave running TEN exe's at once in task manager?

Hello,
Why is Brave running ten brave.exe’s in the task box? I know it was not the case a while ago. Ive been having problems with slow browsing and noticed this. I know it wasnt runing this many exe’s a while ago. (pre-chrome?)

Brave.exe is the name of the owner of a number of processes. Each tab has its own process, the Rewards program has its own processes, etc. 10 Processes if you have a few tabs open is absolutely normal.

1 Like

It’s not Brave… it’s Chromium so u could recognize like same method of Google Chrome… like CloggyAbroad say it’s due each process is different task. It’s the method of Chromium to use “less resources”. The old method was open a bigger .exe

1 Like

Hi

Chrome does it and Opera too to improve performance and prevent freeze.

What above repliers said, I agree.
It’s just like how chromium-based browsers work these days. Multiple processes-instances for better performance, cutting the processes from one BIG hungry to multiple smaller chunks you gain better performance and control. Usually it goes 1 process per tab, one per extension, one per GPU processes.

You can also hit “Shift + Esc” in Windows and see the browser’s task manager for a more detailed view of running processes.

2 Likes

@emailme123 ,

Tabs - Windows

potato - potatoe

https://www.chromium.org/developers/memory-usage-backgrounder/

Multi-Process Model Background

To understand Chromium’s memory usage, let’s understand the multi-process model. Unlike other browsers, Chromium is divided into multiple processes. When Chromium starts up, it will initially have two processes. One process is the browser process which controls the main browser functionality, and the other is the initial renderer process , which runs the Blink rendering engine and JavaScript (V8). Each time you open a new tab in Chromium, you’ll likely get a new renderer process. With typical browsing, it is common to see 5-7 chrome.exe processes active. Further, if you utilize plugins, apps, or extensions, they may also execute within independent processes. All of Chromium’s processes, whether it is a browser process, a renderer process, or a plugin process, will show under the Task Manager as “chrome.exe”.

2 Likes

Right now I have two tabs open and its been that way for along time but I currently have ELEVEN brave.exe’s running in task manager. I have no plug ins or add ons. I know my PC VERY VERY well and nothing is running to justify this, except BRAVE. So, what youre telling me is that CHROME is the problem/concern/memory + process hog? #memory #Resource #resources #performance

@emailme123 , @Chocoholic (of interest), @AWK (of interest),

To: emailme123, including an answer to your reply at a related topic:

https://community.brave.com/t/brave-uses-a-lot-of-resources-causing-fatal-errors/391483/3

The following info may help you decide if you choose to continue using Brave Browser.

Chromium, not CHROME, is a major portion of Brave Browser for Android, Linux OS, Mac OS, Windows OS (but not for iOS).

Chromium itself, is a web browser. From a description at chromium.woolyss.com:

https://chromium.woolyss.com/?stb=1#windows-64-bit

Chromium is a blend of different important open-source projects:

Deviations from Chromium (features we disable or remove) [“we” - Brave software developers]

https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/wiki/Deviations-from-Chromium-(features-we-disable-or-remove)

EXCERPTS:

[Note, the web page is a work in progress]

What Chromium features are removed for privacy/security reasons?

• Services & Features We Disable Entirely
  • Services We Proxy Through Brave Servers
  • Modified Features and Functionality

Brave for desktop is built on top of the open-source Chromium project. We add features on top of what is already there and we also remove features or pieces of the code. These deviations we make that touch the core Chromium code are done via patching.

Chromium is not the same as Google Chrome. For some differences, see:

https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/docs/chromium_browser_vs_google_chrome.md

How it works

• Chromium source is fetched [description]
  • Brave code is fetched [description]
  • Hooks are run [description]
  • Services & Features We Disable Entirely [list]
  • Services We Proxy Through Brave Servers [list]
  • Proxied endpoints [list]
  • Modified Features and Functionality [description]

Many features have randomness added or values generalized as a defense against fingerprinting, including:

• Canvas readback methods
  • User Agent, follow ups in [GitHub Fingerprinting 2.0 issues] #12097, #12638, #14740
  • enumerateDevices
  • Web Audio Serialization
  • WebGL Debug
  • Plugins
  • hardwareConcurrency
  • deviceMemory

The list of hostnames with pinned CA certificates is replaced with a Brave-specific one.

PS. Brave Browser also has a Task Manager, and you can compare:

• Brave Browser > Task Manager (match Process ID (PID) to Windows Task Mgr)

• Windows OS > Task Manager (match Process ID (PID) to Brave Browser Task Mgr)

and see that some of the processes are Active while some are not-Active.

Brave Browser does reserve RAM as a result of a process being active, but you may notice that CPU usage is low or 0 for the non-Active processes.

PS. I am only a volunteer member of Brave Community; I am not a member of Brave Support nor an employee of Brave Software. I do not speak, nor write, for Brave Software.

2 Likes

c/program files/bravesoftware/yadda yadda;
chrome.dll, chrome.dll.sig, chrome_100_percent.pak, chrome_200_percent.pak, chrome_elf.dll, etc etc etc .

I understand. do you~ understand I have no faith in software security? Do you understand the more compounded a software IS
the easier it gets to breach/hack? WHy couldnt BRAVE stay streamlined and secure? Why did they have to get in bed with CHROME? It was elegant. Now its just another sow. – Thank you for your input everyone, but it does not make me feel confident.

ok I removed that screenshot. No point in someone getting hurt cause they dont know what theyre doing. sorry.

U could turn down few flags since brave://flags, i turn off the Brave Wallet due i will never use it… i’ve Metamask for that and the one of Brave eat high resources.

The main problem is that they are still making the same mistake as in Opera or Vivaldi, they are adding things to Chromium but they are not optimizing anything, they are not putting public configurations to disable things we don’t want or they don’t give the option either, since sometimes not even from the flags themselves can be disabled

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.