Multiple Sessions of Brave Running when Initially Launched

Problem: I open the brave browser, with no additional tabs running but have 13 browsers running under processes in Task Manager. As I open more tabs the number increases from there. Is there a way to start with only one browser session to reduce the resources Brave uses?

Sadly no, as far as I’m aware of. Brave use multiple processes. One for main process, other for extension/s, tabs, etc.

1 Like

Ok thanks eljuno, seems to be a Chromium thing, since Chrome does exactly the same thing. I found this explanation
Question:
In Windows Task Manager it seems that I have multiple Chrome processes running, even though I only have one Chrome window open.
How is this possible? I always thought each open program represented one process.
Answer:
Google Chrome takes advantage of these properties and puts web apps and plug-ins in separate processes from the browser itself. This means that a rendering engine crash in one web app won’t affect the browser or other web apps. It means the OS can run web apps in parallel to increase their responsiveness, and it means the browser itself won’t lock up if a particular web app or plug-in stops responding. It also means we can run the rendering engine processes in a restrictive sandbox that helps limit the damage if an exploit does occur.

Basically, each tab has one process unless the tabs are from the same domain. The renderer has a process for itself. Each plug-in will have one and so will each extension that is active.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.