Tor status is always disconnected

Description of the issue:
When opening a new private window with Tor the status is disconnected. It doesn’t seem to connect / initialize, ever.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Opening a new private window with Tor (Alt + Shift + N)

Expected result:

Initializing / connected.

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Version 1.35.100 Chromium: 98.0.4758.87 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:

Already tried:

I can access https://www.torproject.org/ and I am not using a proxy or VPN.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

M4YN3,

Take a look at:

https://search.brave.com/search?q=windows+os+tor+status+always+disconnected&source=web

Appreciate your help! I already looked at those topics and the solutions mentioned didn’t work for me unfortunately. Still searching for a solution…

Anyone who can help me?

@M4YN3,
Can you try toggling the tor extension (brave://settings/extensions) on/off and tell me if this makes any difference?
If not, can you please share a screenshot of the logs tab on your brave://tor-internals page?

Thanks for your reply @Mattches

I already tried that and yet again, but it does not make any difference. When I open brave://tor-internals/ and open Logs, the page stays blank…

Out of curiosity, if you were to create a new browser profile (ensure you close your original profile so you only have one browser window with the new profile opened) and launch a tor window from it, do you get the same results?

I’ve been getting this since updating to Brave v1.35.101 on Windows 8.1. Previously hitting ctrl+f5 repeatedly would eventually lead to initializing, or else closing and reopening the Private with Tor window, but now I need to kill the Tor process from the task manager and then re-launch a Private window with Tor until it starts initializing.

I did everything in the topic, but unfortunately that doesn’t work either ;(

The page remains blank.

I saw one tor process and closed it from the task manager, but now when I re-launch a new Private windows with Tor it doesn’t launch that process. Only after a reboot.

It’s this file that was in my task manager.

That is the same name as the process which I kill from the task manager though. :confused:

Doesn’t work for me unfortunately :frowning:

Tried to rename the file to .old to see if it creates a new file but it doesn’t. So I’m stuck again at this point

@Go-go_duck , @M4YN3 , @Mattches ,

GitHub:

Scroll down to “geoff-scott” at

Follow up of #15949 - Tor state is Disconnected in New Private Window with Tor tab #17381

https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/17381

Thanks @289wk

Happy I’m not the only one facing this issue. Hope they fix it soon

@M4YN3,
I’ve added this thread to the Github issue on your behalf and pinged some devs to hopefully get eyes on it.

2 Likes

@Mattches thanks! Happy to help if the devs require anything

Doesn’t work for me anymore either.

BUT I did get some possibly useful info:

1. I was using Private with Tor without problem (Tor process tor-0.4.6.9-win32-brave-0, Brave v1.35.103).
    As has always been the case, trying to open a second Private with Tor window instead opened a new tab, i.e. it was impossible to open multiple Private with Tor windows.

2. I updated:

• VLC Media Player
  • Adobe Acrobat Reader
  • WinRAR
  • Several Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable libraries
  1. This required a reboot, so I closed Private with Tor and then Brave, and rebooted.

2. I relaunched Brave and tried to open Private with Tor (again tor-0.4.6.9-win32-brave-0, Brave v1.35.103, so seemingly no changes there), but was unable to connect.
    The old tricks of

• pounding ctrl+f5
  • closing and re-opening Private with Tor
  • disabling and re-enabling Private with Tor in brave://settings/extensions
  • killing tor-0.4.6.9-win32-brave-0 from the task manager
    all no longer seem to help.
    And now I can suddenly open multiple distinct Private with Tor windows instead of getting redirected to a new tab, even though they are all disconnected.

Go-go_duck,

Some time ago, I found, that for the TOR process (of Brave Browser) to work, I first had to open a “New Window” (and leave it open). . . and then open a “New Private Window” (and leave it open) . . . and then open the “New Private Window with TOR”. (Leaving the two earlier windows open.) (I would not use multiple tabs.)

Thereafter, I would open another “New Private Window with TOR” for each subsequent entering of a URL address – when I wanted to maintain any earlier TOR window(s).

It just worked. Maybe that sequence of steps will work for you.

(I have a guess, why that works, but it’s late, and time for sleep.)

1 Like

Why does this work? :astonished:

It doensn’t work for me unfortunately :frowning: