Tor status is always disconnected

Description of the issue:
When opening a new private window with Tor the status is disconnected. It doesn’t seem to connect / initialize, ever.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Opening a new private window with Tor (Alt + Shift + N)

Expected result:

Initializing / connected.

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Version 1.35.100 Chromium: 98.0.4758.87 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:

Already tried:

I can access https://www.torproject.org/ and I am not using a proxy or VPN.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

M4YN3,

Take a look at:

https://search.brave.com/search?q=windows+os+tor+status+always+disconnected&source=web

Appreciate your help! I already looked at those topics and the solutions mentioned didn’t work for me unfortunately. Still searching for a solution…

Anyone who can help me?

@M4YN3,
Can you try toggling the tor extension (brave://settings/extensions) on/off and tell me if this makes any difference?
If not, can you please share a screenshot of the logs tab on your brave://tor-internals page?

Thanks for your reply @Mattches

I already tried that and yet again, but it does not make any difference. When I open brave://tor-internals/ and open Logs, the page stays blank…

Out of curiosity, if you were to create a new browser profile (ensure you close your original profile so you only have one browser window with the new profile opened) and launch a tor window from it, do you get the same results?

I did everything in the topic, but unfortunately that doesn’t work either ;(

The page remains blank.

I saw one tor process and closed it from the task manager, but now when I re-launch a new Private windows with Tor it doesn’t launch that process. Only after a reboot.

It’s this file that was in my task manager.

Doesn’t work for me unfortunately :frowning:

Tried to rename the file to .old to see if it creates a new file but it doesn’t. So I’m stuck again at this point

@Go-go_duck , @M4YN3 , @Mattches ,

GitHub:

Scroll down to “geoff-scott” at

Follow up of #15949 - Tor state is Disconnected in New Private Window with Tor tab #17381

https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/17381

Thanks @289wk

Happy I’m not the only one facing this issue. Hope they fix it soon

@M4YN3,
I’ve added this thread to the Github issue on your behalf and pinged some devs to hopefully get eyes on it.

2 Likes

@Mattches thanks! Happy to help if the devs require anything

Go-go_duck,

Some time ago, I found, that for the TOR process (of Brave Browser) to work, I first had to open a “New Window” (and leave it open). . . and then open a “New Private Window” (and leave it open) . . . and then open the “New Private Window with TOR”. (Leaving the two earlier windows open.) (I would not use multiple tabs.)

Thereafter, I would open another “New Private Window with TOR” for each subsequent entering of a URL address – when I wanted to maintain any earlier TOR window(s).

It just worked. Maybe that sequence of steps will work for you.

(I have a guess, why that works, but it’s late, and time for sleep.)

1 Like

It doensn’t work for me unfortunately :frowning:

Glad to have another user having this problem. I raised this in a previous thread when ran out of patience and just switched to the TOR browser itself.
I did find that the status would change to “Connected” occasionally after an indeterminate period of time but that was unusable
Let’s hope the developers can find the issue

Add me to the list. I have never been able to use New Private window with Tor as it’s always disconnected.

@Go-go_duck,

REVISED 2022-02-27 Sunday

TOR Browser

If you visit the TOR Project website

https://www.torproject.org/

and download their TOR [Internet] Browser, and install that, you find that the TOR Browser is their own rendition of the Mozilla Firefox Internet browser.

TOR Browser is set up out-of-the-box, to the following (among other features):

• Block Trackers
  • Defend Against Surveillance
  • Resist Fingerprinting

TOR Browser uses Multi-Layered Encryption:

“Your traffic is relayed and encrypted three times as it passes over the Tor network. The network is comprised of thousands of volunteer-run servers known as Tor relays.”

There is an article online, that recommends caution:

“Things You Should Not Do When You Are Using TOR Browser”

TOR Anonymity: Things Not To Do While Using TOR Browser

by Aditya Tiwari (who updated the article since 2014)

https://fossbytes.com/tor-anonymity-things-not-using-tor/

I experimented with using the TOR Browser, and with using the Brave “Private Window with TOR”. I prefer Brave Browser in general, so I stayed with it.

Brave Browser

Brave Browser File menu selections include:

• Open New Window
  • Open New Private Window
  • Open New Private Window with TOR

Depending upon:

• the version of Brave Browser for Mac OS
  • subsequent updates of Brave Browser for Mac OS
  • what Brave Browser window was opened first
  • and qualifications that satisfy readiness for opening a new window – determined by Brave developers

. . . there are both, conditions for which of the following selections are available / not-available, and thus, a status for each, when you select Brave Browser File menu:

Open New Window – always available as a selection

Open New Private Window – not always available, faded when unavailable

Open New Private Window with TOR – not always available, faded when unavailable

From my perspective, there seems to be a pattern of the behavior of those three selections . . . but at times, the pattern of behavior has been interrupted.

That on occasion, has resulted in, my NOT being able to directly select Open New Private Window with TOR . . . and on such occasions, I have had to Open at least one of the other two selections, first.

Opening one of the other two selections, first, causes the Open New Private Window with TOR selection, to become available.

There seems to be instability, non-reliability, re opening the TOR window, and I have been guessing, that certain conditions having to do with

• independence from whatever is happening with any, and all, other windows / processes

• independence that is finely tuned for the TOR purpose (Brave version respecting what the TOR Browser security policy and practices are)

. . . must be in place, before you get a TOR window.

If anything might upset the finely tuned nature and focused purpose (performance) that is required for a solid TOR window to occur . . . then the window will either

Not Open (selection is faded, unavailable status)

or

Close / Exit / Quit (and the related process(es) that you find for it, in the Task Managers and Activity Monitor, will end, or at least no longer participate in using CPU – “I think”).

Recently, I stumbled upon the

–site-per-process

flag in the List of Command Line Flags in Brave:

https://support.brave.com/hc/en-us/articles/360044860011-How-Do-I-Use-Command-Line-Flags-in-Brave-

The accompanying description for the (–site-per-process) flag:

“Enforces a one-site-per-process security policy: * Each renderer process, for its whole lifetime, is dedicated to rendering pages for just one site. * Thus, pages from different sites are never in the same process. * A renderer process’s access rights are restricted based on its site. * All cross-site navigations force process swaps. * < iframe >s are rendered out-of-process whenever the src = is cross-site. More details here: - “https://www.chromium.org/developers/design-documents/site-isolation” - “https://www.chromium.org/developers/design-documents/process-models” - The class comment in site_instance.h, listing the supported process models. IMPORTANT: this isn’t to be confused with --process-per-site (which is about process consolidation, not isolation). You probably want this one.”

Which fits what I had in mind, writing earlier above: “independence that is finely tuned for the TOR purpose” – in order to focus.

The TOR Browser people seem to me, to say: Do Not Mess with the Settings.

I do not know what Brave Browser Settings are adjusted, when using a New Private Window with TOR, but I respect the “Do Not Mess with the Settings” advice.

So, if either occurs:

• TOR Browser window has a problem with a website, or
  • Brave Browser New Private Window with TOR has a problem with a website

. . . then I do not fiddle with the Settings. I maintain security – over convenience.

When a TOR process runs into a jam, the browser, its TOR window, or a TOR server, will end the delicate, sensitive connection.

PS. Diagnostic tool: brave://tor-internals/

3 Likes

Just updated Brave to Version 1.36.109 Chromium: 99.0.4844.51, unfortunately still the same behaviour.