Tip: backup brave rewards (BATs) and linked session

Formatting the computer or reinstalling brave a few times eventually resulted in 2 problems for me:

1. Reach the 4 check limit.

2. Lose the bats that have not yet been processed and sent to the account.

After some testing, I came up with a possible solution. Before removing brave completely:

I backed up the Preferences file in C:\Users<user>\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default, so after reinstalling brave I copied this file back to the folder (with brave closed), then I opened it, I was able to link normally without the limit message (it apparently used the previous Brave session) and the unprocessed bats were still present.

2 Likes

Hm. That’s a great tip. I wonder though, is it safe to clone Windows, reinstall on the same SDD/HDD or a different one and resume using the new cloned OS with Brave and all your configurations + getting your Brave Rewards wallet intact?

2 Likes

Possibly it should continue working normally, apparently the relevant information is in C:\Users<user>\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data, mainly in the preferences file.

There must be a possibility of a problem occurring if the Brave copy is working simultaneously with the other (I’ve never tested it), because maybe it would be possible to identify it as a cheat or conflict? hmmmm, in this case I see the possibility.

1 Like

@4M4M I have done that, it works. :ok_hand:

I shared that option some time ago but I guess is very hard to find currently

2 Likes

Those are great news! My PC is already acting up while booting, so I want to clone my OS on a new SSD that’s a bit faster than my current one, so I was wondering if the change in hardware would affect my wallet, or force me to use another instance on uphold accs.

Oh, and by the way, @JohnDproof, do you recommend backing up the folder that OP mentioned in its post? in another thread I’ve read that you can “magically” lose your profile altogether without notice. Should I back up such folder? Is it fool proof to just copy it if I lose my Brave config in the future?

1 Like

@4M4M

I’m not sure about this, he said that worked for him but before I tried cloning my disk I did that and didn’t worked for me.

When I launched the browser after copying my old files, I got an error message saying there was something wrong with the wallet – I think, it’s been more than a year ago, I can remember the exact message – then the wallet reset itself. The wallet was already verified so I only lost the pending rewards, ±3 Bat

Then some time after that I did the cloning to upgrade my laptop with an SSD like you and everything worked okay, I still have the same wallet today.

But you can try both options, if what the OP said works for you, you will save some time

2 Likes

I’d rather clone my SSD after I clean it up a bit, in general, I feel storing more and more data tends to mess with boot speeds so far with this SSD, until I buy I new one, I’m gonna clean up most programs and other useless stuff to restart from zero with the most essential software. Thanks, @JohnDproof

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.