Sync v2 on android not working

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

Description of the issue:
Brave on android does not sync with other computers in the sync chain

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Create sync chain on the computer
  2. open Brave on android and add the device to the sync chain using QR code
  3. wait for bookmarks, history and passwords to be downloaded to the mobile

Expected result:
bookmarks and passwords and history should be downloaded on android but it stays empty and nothing gets downloaded.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
1.15.76 (latest in Android) and 1.16.68 (latest on Windows)
Mobile Device details
Android 10; POCOPHONE F1

Additional Information:
the sync is working fine between windows and linux devices in the same chain but the android device is the one thing that doesn’t work. I also should note that I tried creating a completely new chain and that I have “sync everything” option enabled on all devices.

@farahats9,
First, can you please go to Settings --> About Brave so the update triggers and you get the latest version? Just want to make sure everything is up to date.

Second, it may seem silly, but have you closed the application on both the windows and Android side after adding your Android device to the Sync chain?

Thank you for your reply,
Yes, it is actually the latest version on android and windows.
I did try closing the browser and reopening several times on both devices.

@farahats9,
Apologies for the late reply – would you mind sharing a screenshot of your brave://sync-internals page so we can take a closer look at what’s going on?

Here is a screenshot from my android device

@farahats9,
It appears that the status shows Disabled by platform. We have steps to resolve this on our Sync FAQ:

Sync v2 on Android respects the system-wide option “Automatically sync data”, so if you found that Brave Sync v2 does not work on your Android device, you should ensure that system option is in the position on. The location of that option depends on device manufacturer, but you may find it in:

• System settings --> Accounts --> Automatically Sync Data
  • System settings --> Accounts and backup --> Accounts --> Auto Sync Data
  • System settings --> Cloud and accounts --> Accounts --> Auto Sync Data

In order to sync v2 work on Android it is required to turn that option on.

2 Likes

This worked, thanks a lot :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@farahats9,
My pleasure! Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any additional questions :slight_smile: