Sync Issues between 2 laptops

Description of the issue:
I’m trying to sync my 2 laptops, both running latest version of Brave browser.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

initially i tried to sync both devices, both running latest version of Brave browser

but i couldn’t see the “I’ve a sync code” option. then I deleted by current sync chain. and started fresh. Then i was able to see the “I’ve a sync code” option and was able to paste the Sync Code.

But when i pasted the code and pressed OK, nothing happened and it went back to main screen, I could not see both laptops names, actually I could not see any device info.

Now both of my laptops have the same sync code. I’ve tried many times, but unable to setup sync between 2 laptops.

Reproduces how often:

It never started.

Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):

Version 1.35.101 Chromium: 98.0.4758.87 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Type of devices currently running on the Sync chain in question:

1. Dell lnspiron laptop
  2. Lenovo Laptop

Additional Information:

Both laptops running Windows 10 - fully updated versions.

@khuram1 First off, are you still having this issue or you got it resolved?

Secondly, let me repeat and make sure I’m understanding this properly

1. You have 2 devices with Brave, where both instances of Brave were freshly installed and you didn’t copy/paste folders over from one to the other. (in other words, you didn’t clone your profile or whatever, right?)

2. After your initial issue, you went in and chose Leave Sync Chain on both of the devices.

3. You then went to device #1 and chose Start a new Sync Chain

4. Still on Device #1, you went to the Sync menu and you chose Add New Device and selected Computer as the type. When the sync code appeared, you copied it.

5. You then went to Device #2 and selected I have a sync code. and then put in the sync code you had listed.

I guess, was that all the steps in order, you did all that? Part of what I was looking at is if you were inputting old sync code to the one where you “deleted” prior. Other is wondering if separate or cloned browser ID. I know I just tested on multiple devices and had no issue in any time, except when I went to do it on my iPhone it originally ejected me to Settings a couple times. I had to exit the browser, reopen, and then put in the code and it then showed me the connected devices on Sync.

Hello and thanks for your detailed response.

Yes I followed the above steps to the dot.

Now my problem that both laptops have exact same sync code. and when i enter in the laptop nothing happens.

Although when i installed Brave on my mobile, I was able to scan the QR code and it was added in the device list.

Now my question is, How can i change the sync code in my order laptop. I guess then I will be able to sync again.

Or if there is a way to sync 2 devices with the same code… please do let me know…

The sync code is your password for the sync chain. It stays the same so long as the sync chain exists. So if you had your first laptop that you created the sync chain and then you added your second laptop to an existing, providing the code your first one gave you, then it shouldn’t be having any issues.

When you select new device, that’s so it can determine which of the codes to give you. For mobile it will give you the QR code and for a computer it gives you the long phrase that you would put in. Both of them work the same way it just is different presentations.

Well gives me is usually it’s something very simple that gets missed that causes issues. But maybe yours really is some oddball situation here. And I’m sitting here trying to respond to everything awesome been wanting to get to sleep for a while. It’s a little after 2 AM here so I’m gonna have to come back to this later. For right now though I am gonna put this link below and say that maybe we can see if @Mattches has any ideas