Some Google rich search results not working correctly on Android app

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

Description of the issue:

• Some special Google search results (I think called “rich search results” or “enriched search results”) do not work when Auto-redirect AMP pages is enabled on Android app
  • Not all rich-search results appear to be impacted.
  • This issue does not seem to occur on the Windows Desktop app.

How can this issue be reproduced?
Example 1 - TV show

1. Using Android app, enable Auto-redirect AMP pages in the settings.
  2. Go to Google.com
  3. In Google, search for Game of Thrones
  4. A TV themed rich-search result should be listed first, allowing you to select between “Overview”, “Cast”, “Watch Show”, “Episode Guide” etc.
  5. Try to click one of these elements. They cannot be clicked / pages do not load.

Example 2 - restaurant

1. Using Android app, enable Auto-redirect AMP pages in the settings.
  2. Go to Google.com
  3. In Google, search for abc kitchen new york
  4. A restaurant themed rich-search result should be listed first, allowing you to select between “Overview”, “Menu”, “Reviews”, “Photos” etc.
  5. Try to click one of these elements. They cannot be clicked / pages do not load.

Expected result:

• At step 5, the user should be able to click the listed elements, and be taken to the appropriate page.

Brave Version( check About Brave):

• Android app version 1.38.109 Chromium 101.0.4951.41

Mobile Device details

• Google Pixel 5
  • Android 12
  • Security updated 5 April 2022

Additional Information:

• The issue does not seem to occur on the Windows desktop app running Windows 10 (Brave version 1.38.111 Chromium: 101.0.4951.54 Official Build 64-bit)
  • I have only been using Brave for a week - my thanks to all the team!

Apologies – duplicate of this issue: Tabs in the loaded page is not working

Hi and welcome to the community. :smiley:

I am replying to your post in Tabs in the loaded page is not working. That topic has been solved meaning the OP found a solution for their issue. Generally, most community members (me included) try not to post in solved topics. Any posts after a topic is solved is likely to get overlooked. I have posted in solved topic but I try to keep it short and sweet and only post additional information I think (imo anyway :wink:) would enhance the solution.

You post for reference:
Tabs in the loaded page is not working - #11 by stevesteve

Is the de-AMP feature likely to get fixed to prevent these issues occuring?

I think so. Brave GitHub has a lot of issue reports on AMP (De-AMP) both open and closed. Most of the work is being done on the back-end, so most fixes or updates will probably not be in the release notes for version updates.

Below I have posted a search query for AMP on the Brave GitHub site. You can browse the open and closed issue reports to get an idea of the areas being addressed. Closed issues may or may not be in the Brave Release version yet. You can look at the Milestone for an issue to see the planned release. Planned releases are not set in stone and are subject to change!

For now, the workaround is to just disable the AMP settings for any OS experiencing an issue. I think you probably disabled already, but reposting the information just in case.

ISSUE: URL Wrong Redirects / Unusable Page Tabs / Image Issues

Workarounds:

• Disable Enable De-AMP at brave://flags
  • Disable Auto-redirect AMP pages at brave://settings/shields

Workaround Sources:
Tabs in the loaded page is not working - #8 by highwind85
The website of a newspaper displays a crypto’s website instead - #12 by CerealLover
Google Images Issue (Please Help!) - #4 by Mondfarmer
Youtube over the last few days seems troubled - #2 by 289wk

I hope you have a great experience using Brave Browser! I really like it. Took me a while to get accustomed to navigating, but in the end, it is now my default browser. Good luck and take care! :smiley:

2 Likes

I suspect, that ‘AMP’ is still a problem for users of Google, who have

• a Brave Browser window open that is in a variable (meaning anywhere from barely, to ‘close to full-time success’) state of connection with some service of Google

• a Brave Browser background activity of some sort that is in a variable (meaning anywhere from barely, to ‘close to full-time success’) state of connection with some service of Google

. . . while the user is working at one or more other browser windows, and usually trying to download or save a file.

Apologies for not replying, seems I did not yet get email notification of the replies.

Just to update , this seems to be working much better in latest version on Android, with no need to use the workaround.

And yes - have now migrated fully onto Brave and been very happy so far!

Thanks all!:v:

SOLUTION:
Update browser on Android (confirmed working on v1.38.119).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.