Please don't label (and libel) conservative news sites as "FAKE NEWS"

Hello,

I started using Brave Search after DDG CEO went on an insane twitter tirade and decided to censor his search. I’ve been generally happy since I’ve switched but I’ve noticed that your search results have a massive leftist bias. Even more so than Google search. They’re quite disgusting really.

Here’s how your search is libeling The Gateway Pundit, a popular conservative site, as “fake news”:

Not even Google calls it that yet they have a well-established leftist bias and they’re a self-admitted censor of information:

This bias is not isolated or a rare incident. This search is labeling pretty much every major conservative site with a “FAKE NEWS” label. Why? How come The New York Times, the biggest purveyor of fake news there is, is not labeled the same way?

I hope these issues can be fixed and you will not become some virulent leftist search engine.

Thanks.

11 Likes

1.) That is likely wikipedia feedback mechanism and nothing to do with brave search. As you say, it will need to be tweaked slightly to avoid the slander purposefully done by wikipedia editors.

2.) Results seem politically skewed - #29 by solso
Results seem politically skewed - #27 by sampson
Yandex Search less censored than Brave Search? Please say it isn't so! - #27 by chh_68

2 Likes

I agree. I wonder if there is a way to turn that off or stop displaying Wikipedia as the source on the right side of displayed results. Sorry, I don’t know what that position on a search results page is called! lol

There are a lot of media bias rating sites out there. My preferred feedback/rating sites:
Media Bias/Fact Check - The Gateway Pundit
Allsides Media Bias Rating - The Gateway Pundit

If anyone knows of any other sites that at least attempt to present the bias rating in an unbiased way, please let me know! Always looking for this type information.

3 Likes

That will be not good. If we exclude certain situtions like this (gateway pundit one), the wikipedia feedback thing seen on brave search or other search engines are pretty good. Like searching for brave browser, car, bicycle, bag, cotton, silk etc. Eg,

(second result).

I think we just should tweak and remove particular reference/feedback like this one when we find them individually.

Well, it is upto the search engine devs.

1 Like

I just meant removing that right side display. How does wikipedia get that position anyway? They are listed in the search results too but also displayed predominantly on the right side. Why isn’t any other search result in the list displayed there? Sheesh. Guess I’m going to have to go down a rabbit hole and find out about this stuff! lol

Anyway, that is the only thing I was referencing removing. Not manipulating anything in the result list itself. :smiley:

2 Likes

Something interesting. This is how the wikipedia page is displayed in Firefox using DDG. No “feedback” displayed. Using Chrome with Google, displays the same results.

If you use Brave Search in Firefox, the display is the same as posted above by the OP. So, this indicates to me that the “feedback” portion looks like something that can be enabled/disabled in the search engine itself. I would prefer it be disabled! Not a good look for Brave to have that functionality displayed by default.

Also, when using DDG in Brave Search, it displays per image below. Wikipedia predominant at the top of the page but at least wikipedia’s feedback is not displayed. Although being so predominant the first “fake news” line is hard to miss. I would prefer this not display either. I tend to find this a frequent editorial action at wikipedia of displaying negative information in the first few lines for conservative sites vs non-conservative sites although they deny they do this. lol Seems to be more predominant with less known sites, so maybe it has something to do with the quality of the editors for those type sites

Example of how wikipedia presents far-left vs far-right content.

Far left fake news:

Far right fake news:

Even wikipedia’s Definition of fake news on their List of fake news websites has references to what many conservatives would consider lean left or far left sites and no lean right. I would think to conservatives, this would indicate a left-leaning bias and promotion of the left by the wikipedia editors.

I wish there was a media bias rating site out there that would predominately display an unbiased metric of a news sources’ factual information reporting on the political spectrum and also have an unbiased metric displaying a news sources’ editorial content on the political spectrum. I think some sites, whether left or right, get a bad rep not for their factual reporting but for their editorial content.

3 Likes

Swap out your search engine for Qwant. It works within Brave and it’ll return proper results uncensored.

1 Like

Qwant censors https://nitter.kavin.rocks/QwantCom/status/1498755728877801472#m. It also relies on bing index to some extent, so you will get bing related ‘censorship’.

There are only three usable search engines - Brave search, Metagr, yandex. There are others too like Gigablast, mojeek etc, but they are practically unusable.

2 Likes

What then is/are unbiased search engines? I’m suspicious of most now that DDG has been shown to skew the results of our searches.

3 Likes

I wrote about them in my previous comment.

I observed a test using specific terms (that will remain nameless to avoid controversy) that showed categorically the Brave search gave the same censored results as Google. Qwant and resulthunter did not.

These type of test are meaningless currently (as of march 2022). Result hunter itself gets its result from bing/google. It only makes sure to boots certain news sites over other news sites related to a particular political faction. Direct quote from the founder “Simply put, you can’t beat the size and complexity of Google’s search index nor the sophistication and relevancy of their algorithms. All of that is a fancy way of saying that I use Google’s index and IMPROVE IT”

Yandex Search less censored than Brave Search? Please say it isn't so! The author of the substack article did a similar tests like you. The way it is done is flawed for brave search, for other seach engines it is true to some extent.

I think you can block that element. Or at least it seems to be working for me.

1. Enter a search
  2. Right click on the page displayed
  3. Select Brave -->Block element
  4. Select the element you want to block and click (be careful not to select everything!)
  5. Click create

The wiki feedback and wiki article link elements are removed. Works even after I close the browser and reload.

Of course, I have no idea how to reverse this! Anyone know or have some suggestions?

Edit: Display looks like image below. Tried with multiple sites, so I don’t think it is a one-off. I left the profiles… I like that! My decision if I what to view at any of the sites listed!

1 Like

Ran across this topic on how to remove blocked elements. :smiley:

brave://adblock --> Custom Filters (bottom of page)

Focus on the Family labeled a “fundamentalist” organization.

1 Like

Our only hope is Brave Search imho I’ve tried all the so called alternatives. The first week I had Brave Search, it was great. Then it changed. Even Goolag is better now.

That’s a Wikipedia widget, which has nothing to do with Brave

1 Like

Sir, dont you dare question the ministry of truth! You are only allowed to believe what the government and mainstream media tells you!
It is very dangerous for humanity to look at everything other then mentioned before sources!

We live in a time in where news get spun to fit a certain agenda/narrative! And actual true and factual journalism is shunned if it doesnt mirror what mainstream media wants you to believe.

1984 just called, it wants its story back. Sad but feels more and more true.

4 Likes

Then why is it the first thing you see when you do a search

1 Like

You’re literally complaining about third-party content, whether it’s the first thing you see or not doesn’t change that

1 Like