Currency menu’s do not display when ellipses are clicked in Paypal.com
[Exact URL of the website in question: https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/money/]
Did the issue present with default Shields settings?
Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off?
NO, the issue remains
Is there a specific Shields configuration that causes the site to break? If so, tell us that configuration.
Does the site work as expected when using Chrome?
Brave version v1.44.101
Image 1 on BRAVE
Image 2 on CHROME
Try clearing site cookies and data.
Have tried this now. No change to issue.
@chonka Can you try this in a new profile?
Please try, confirm, provide the following:
- In addition to creating a new profile, try in a new private window and see if the behavior still occurs in a private window
- Please confirm that you cleared history/cache for all time on the Advanced tab at brave://settings/clearBrowserData. Try exiting, waiting a few, and reopening Brave if you haven’t closed Brave since you cleared history/cache.
- Provide your OS version
The above information will help troubleshoot. Please post an update. Thanks!
Great support here. Knowing your OS would definitely help. I’d test the Private Window first, before creating a new profile (which you should still test if the Private window doesn’t work).
I’m actually more inclined to think this is a
Hardware Acceleration issue or perhaps an extension issue, if you have any installed in the browser at this time. So after telling us your OS, please try the following tests:
- Test the behavior in a Private browsing window
- Disable HWA (
Settings --> Additional --> System --> Hardware Acceleration), then test the behavior
- Disable any extensions you have installed at this time then test again
- Try creating a new, temp. browser profile and see if the behavior persists when using it
Thanks for your kind assistance
Win 11 Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621
Site is working fine in Private browsing window. No change with full cache clean. Will try other steps
As suggested it was an extension causing the issues. I managed to find the specific culprit which was Rakuten Canada Button
Thanks agian, I realise this was a very small inconvenience I had, yet several took the time to assist. Appreciation.
Glad to hear the issue is resolved — I’ve reported the behavior to the team for review in the event there is anything we can do about this extension causing the issue. Thanks for testing and letting us know, and don’t hesitate to reach out again if you have any questions or concerns.