Mute / Unmute Pinned Tab is Difficult/Annoying

I’m not sure if this is a chromium issue or specifically Brave related… but …
Its really annoying to manage the mute/unmute of a pinned tab. Because when you pin a tab it minimizes the size of the tab to just an icon. That’s great…
But when a tab is making noise, (specifically I always have trouble with Messenger tab.) The site favicon is replaced by a mute/unmute toggle while the tab is playing sound. When I click over to see the message I ALWAYS end up muting the tab unintentionally… further making this frustrating is that the sound icon is only there for a few seconds, so it’s very difficult to catch it and unmute the tab. There is no unmute tab option in the sub (right click) menu, only a mute option. (Even when the tab is muted, strangely. The submenu option does not change to “Unmute” when the tab is muted by the sound icon toggle.)

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Pin a tab that plays audio regularly. Preferably a messnger site so that the sound icon is only momentarily available.
  2. Click to the tab to check an incoming message. Accidentally mute the tab because the sound/mute icon is displayed while the sound is happening. The sound icon then disappears.
  3. Throw something because now you can’t unmute the tab until sound plays again.

Expected result:
Be able to unmute the tab easily, without having to rely on the sound icon to return. Either by:

• Disabling the sound icon mute toggle for pinned tabs. (This is the best option in my opinion, since I can still mute/unmute the tab from right-click submenu).
    or:
  • Changing the right-click submenu option to “unmute” when the tab is muted by the sound icon toggle. I think that this doesn’t change to “unmute” when the tab is muted is probably a bug.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 0.69.135 Chromium: 77.0.3865.120 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
Better yet, remove the mute/unmute toggle from the pinned tab altogether (Leave it on the regular because that’s not an issue) and put the mute/unmute toggle in the submenu (right click menu)

13 Likes

I’d like to second this request. My work uses Google Hangouts for messaging, which means I am constantly accidentally muting my gmail tab when trying to switch over to it upon receiving a message.

2 Likes

@aaronm @KingDingbat,
I feel your pain as I, too, have done this several times. It’s certainly an issue with the Chromium engine itself. I can’t say that we will get this particular annoyance fixed any time soon but I will open an issue for it.
In the interim, you can use numbered keyboard shortcuts to jump to the pinned tab without having to click on it directly. For example, on macOS – I can do fn + cmd + [number of tab, rtl] to jump to any open tab. So pressing fn + cmd + 1 will jump me to the pinned tab in the image below:

Ditto. I use Hangouts from a pinned tab (Win10, version 1.2.43 Chromium: 79.0.3945.130 (64-bit). To select the tab to answer a call, clicking on it just mutes the call. CTRL-tab cycles through the tabs, but sometimes the call is gone before you get there. How about having a right-click option to select without muting?

1 Like

Still an annoying issue Now in 2022. On windows, so I dont think the work around mentioned will work.

1 Like

This bug has just reared it’s head again. I’d say middle of last week I noticed it. I’d have music playing on a pinned tab, then be on another tab, click the pinned tab to go back to my music, and instead of switching to the tab, the music is muted. Only this time it’s worse because I literally can’t unmute the tab. I have to close it and then open a new tab to go back to my music.

This is on Windows 10

2 Likes

Same here. Just noticed this happening over the last day or two.

Version 1.37.109 Chromium: 100.0.4896.60 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Windows 11

I had never noticed or had this issue until today. Now I can’t unmute a pinned tab without unpinning it, then clicking the speaker icon. Since the Mute Site/Unmute Site, on the right-click menu, doesn’t reflect accurately and clicking the Muted speaker has no effect while the tab is pinned.
Please fix this!!

Version 1.37.109 Chromium: 100.0.4896.60 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I’ve been using pinned tabs for the last year and with one of the latest updates i started noticing this. Pretty sure it was not a problem before as I never noticed and my usage hasn’t changed.

Now, I ran onto this issue 2 or 3 times a day. The only way to fix it is to unpin the tab, then click the speaker icon to unmute to then finally pin it again.

This is very annoying, please have a look into this issue.

Indeed. It is infuriating.

An issue report has been created on Brave GitHub. Hopefully, Brave will get a fix soon.

1 Like

April in the Year 2022 and this mute/unmute tab is still annoying as F…!

1 Like

Experimental fix; seems to work for me. No hassle, simple as changing the setting from “Default” to “Disabled”. Hope this helps.

In essence, go to brave://flags/#enable-tab-audio-muting and change the setting to Disabled

2 Likes

I almost had to rage quit Brave because this issue has pissed me off three times…just today! It’s waaaay too easy to mute a pinned tab and nearly impossible to unmute it. I have no idea what actually lets me unmute it. I’ve resigned to unpinning the tab and then I can unmute the page. Incredibly frustrating for such a simple issue to fix.

1 Like

Still a problem as of May 22, 2022.

There’s actually a flag to disable this feature all-together which works well enough for me: brave://flags/#enable-tab-audio-muting

1 Like

This bug/feature is still around. I guess i’ll do what the last person recommended!

Hello, I have the same issue, it’s annoying when you have a pinned tab with sound, like Spotify, and when I want to change it back I have to unpin the tab and it’s frustrating.

• Changing the right-click submenu option to “unmute” when the tab is muted by the sound icon toggle. I think that this doesn’t change to “unmute” when the tab is muted is probably a bug.

It is not a bug the right-click option, what changes is that it says “Mute site” what it is literally different with “Mute tab”, when you mute site, for example Spotify, and then you move to YouTube, it is not muted, that means, the site what you are listening Spotify is muted, while YouTube it is not.

(This might also happen in Chromium based browsers)

I think Brave should add a right click option “Mute tab” apart from “Mute site”.

July 2022, still not fixed.
Utterly annoying, and frustrated by Brave dev not paying any attention to this issue nor answer to this thread at all. Poor.

Posting a comment from the Brave GitHub issue report (Selecting a pinned tab with sound playing mutes the audio #22108) from a Brave Senior Software Engineer below.

mkarolin commented Apr 19, 2022

In Chrome, you’d have to enable the #enable-tab-audio-muting feature for the button to mute/unmute audio in the first place. However, with the feature enabled Chrome suffers from the same behavior as described in STR. This has been reported upstream https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1261913, but ended up merged into the general muting issue (https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=360372) which has been open since 2014. I would imagine a timely upstream fix here would be unlikely.

So, this isn’t something Brave can fix. This is an upstream bug in chromium and “a timely upstream fix here would be unlikely.” I think, as with Brave issue reports, users can post comments to chromium issue reports unless the issue is locked. You might want to give it a try. Maybe with enough feedback…?