Mac OS 10.14.2 Brave (Stable) freezing on launch

Description of the issue:
I launch Brave stable, browser freezes solid before it can even show the New Tab page.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary):

1. Launch brave.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
Need to force quit. CPU becomes begs

Expected result:
To be able to use the browser

Reproduces how often:
Every launch. I have uninstalled and reinstalled from the latest stable on the website.

Brave Version(about:brave):
Latest stable from website.

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):
Yes? The dev version works ok. But stable no

Additional Information:
So after using Brave stable all day (6+ hours), while I was busy working in a different application having not touched brave at all in ten minutes, suddenly my CPU pegged over 100% from brave. I could not do anything with the application and force quit. When I relaunched all of my previous tabs were gone. However even the “New Tab” page did not load before the browser once again pegged at over 100% CPU. I uninstalled (deleted from Applications) and re-downloaded the browser and copied from the new DMG from the site. Launching the new version also pegged CPU at 100%.

I had an old copy of Brave dev that launched and worked, I then updated brave dev to latest dev build and it continued to work. But I cannot launch Brave stable without CPU spiking and locking up the system.

@butlermatt,
Thanks for bringing this to our attention!
This is the first I’ve seen of this and I was able to download and run Stable build without issue.

I’m going to forward this to some team members to review. Appreciate your patience.

1 Like

I was able to resolve the issue by following the steps here:
https://community.brave.com/t/how-to-solve-almost-every-problem-after-install/605

In particular, it was removing the “~/Library/Application Support/brave” (lowercase) directory, where previously I had only removed the “~/Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.