Browser Pegs CPU at 100%+ for 3 minutes at startup

WHen I start brave on my macbook pro (macOS Version 10.14.6) using , it takes 3 minutes and 15 seconds before the splash screen appears. My CPU and the Brave Browser thread is pegged at 100% or more the entire time.

I’m running Brave version 1.11.97

This happens every time I start the browser. Note that I have all extensions disabled.

Its been this way for a while. Was hopping browser updates and disabling extensions would solve the problem, but no luck so far. Thoughts?

@jefflutz62,
Thanks for reaching out.
Can you try disabling Hardware Acceleration in settings to see if this resolves the issue?

You’ll find this in Settings --> Additional Settings --> System --> Hardware Acceleration

Thanks for the suggestions, but disabling Hardware Acceleration did not help and even slowed it down further. The time to splash screen increased from 3 min 15 secs to 3 min 30 secs.

Also, Note that I do not have a launch problem when I use Chrome.

I also notice slowness and high CPU utilization when visiting some websites, relative to Chrome. For example, coinmarketcap.com is very slow on Brave and I notice the Brave Browser Helper (Renderer) and Brave Browser Process run at 50-70% for over 5 minutes (when I stopped the test).

When I go to the same site in Chrome, the CPU goes up to 30% (for the Chrome renderer) for 10 seconds or so, then drops to 15% and below 10%.

@jefflutz62,
Can you try creating and launching a new browsing profile (Menu --> Create new profile) and see if you get different results?

Hi had same problem yesterday on Windows. Suddenly the CPU came at 100 %. Don’t know if a web site was the source of the problem. I closed all tabs, closed Brave and reopen it. Solved.

Latest beta version on Windows 10.

Wow. That completely changed the response. I created a new profile which sped things up (and didn’t drain the CPU). THen I went back to my old profile and its fast and not consuming the CPU. That seems to have fixed it. Thank you!

1 Like

@jefflutz62,
That’s pretty strange that your old profile no works properly as well. You didn’t change any settings in your original profile?

No, I didn’t change any settings. The only thing else that changed between my last confirmation of high CPU usage and the dramatic improvement was that I claimed and moved my BAT rewards into my metamask wallet.

One other thing. I think I noticed Brave updated today. Can’t remember when. I am now running Version 1.11.101. Not sure if I was running .101 previously. Is there a way to see when my last version was updated?

FOrtunately, I did include the version in my original email. It was Brave version 1.11.97. I am now running 1.11.101. Maybe the new version is what fixed it.

1 Like

Clear your cache, then see if original profile is slow.

his old and new profile work fine now
check his post

have a nice day :slight_smile:

I cleared the cache as part of my trouble shooting before I submitted the post. It didn’t make a difference.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.