Linux - Linux sync fails, Linux - Android works

Description of the issue:
I have a Linux Fedora 33 desktop, a Xubuntu 21.04 laptop and an Android phone all running Brave 1.27.74. The laptop and phone are on a sync chain which I created on the desktop but the desktop never joined the chain. Note that the desktop has a very aggressive firewall which might be blocking sync.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

On the laptop and phone chrome://sync-internals show “Transport State Active” and the expected log of update requests. On the desktop, it shows “Transport State Disabled” and “Disable Reasons Not signed in” (which I think is now obsolete), and clicking Request Start has no effect.

Expected result:

Expected the desktop to join the sync chain, but no joy.

Reproduces how often:

Every time. I tried creating the sync chain on the desktop then having the laptop join several times but got the same result every time.

Additional Information:

It’s very possible that the firewall on the desktop is blocking something important. I looked everywhere I could think of for details of the sync protocol and port but nothing turned up. If the protocol uses TCP:443 like a secure web request, then the firewall is not the problem and I need to look elsewhere. If the protocol uses something else then I need to poke a hole in the firewall.

On the desktop, when I go to Sync>Settings>Manage your synced devices I don’t get the prompt asking whether I already have a sync code, presumably because that’s where I generated the sync code that the chain of my laptop and phone is now using, so I don’t have an opportunity to join that chain.

The laptop and phone both show both devices on the sync chain.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.