I mistakenly thought that I affected my Brave browser just because I installed JDownloader 2

This just happened to be an anecdote, but I remember that, after having installed the JDownloader 2 program, I noticed 2 changes in the behavior of Brave browser, the first is that the downloads began to be displayed at the top of the window instead of the bottom of the window and the second is that Brave search no longer allowed me to use image and video search results using its own search engine. Since all this happened at the time when I had just installed JDownloader 2, I related it to the changes that I have already mentioned. Researching about JDownloader 2 I found some pages that mentioned that the program itself is considered as malware. The fact is that I uninstalled JDownloader 2 from my PC and to my fear Brave browser didn’t work like before…

So I thought that the program that JDownloader 2 had infected my PC with malware and, consequently, Brave browser suddenly worked differently but no… It was all a confusion, a coincidence. I found in these forums the truth, that in reality these had been some legitimate changes of the Brave browser. Fortunately, it is still possible to reverse the style of the downloads, I found it in this thread: Pop-up screen of recent downloads Regarding what now Brave browser uses the Bing and Google search engines to display the results instead of using its own native search engine is something that, like most users, I am not very happy with the matter but hopefully Brave search will one day be the same again.

@LATER_HERO Thank you for sharing your story and expressing your concerns about the default search engines in Brave. I understand your frustration, and I’d like to address your points in a concise and informative manner.

1. Malware Awareness:
  • It’s great that you’re aware of the potential malware bundled with JDownloader2. To ensure your system’s safety, I recommend scanning it with your antivirus software or a trusted third-party antivirus program.
  • In the future, be sure to download software from official sources and read about others’ experiences and potential issues before proceeding. Remember, reading and staying informed is crucial to avoid such situations.
  1. Default Search Engines:
  • While it’s unfortunate that Google and Bing are the default search engines, there are reasons behind this choice.
  • By having these popular search engines as defaults, Brave aims to provide a seamless experience for casual web users who may not prioritize privacy protection. It simplifies the browsing process for newcomers without requiring additional configurations.
  • However, for users who value privacy and want to change their search engine, Brave offers the flexibility to customize without any restrictions or barriers. You have the freedom to choose your preferred search engine easily.
  • It’s important to note that Brave’s default settings already prioritize privacy, security, and a streamlined experience, surpassing Chrome or Edge in these aspects.

Please remember that Brave Browser is committed to protecting your privacy, blocking intrusive ads and trackers, and ensuring a secure browsing environment. Your online safety and satisfaction are Brave top priorities.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out. We’re here to assist you!

Best regards,
@SwiftyPop

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.