Huge instability lately

Description of the issue:
I have huge performance issues using only Brave, on YouTube I can’t even watch a Livestream on 1080p without buffering every 1-5sec.

I have already tried clearing History, Cookies & Cache, nothing has helped so far, I don’t get those issues when using Chrome v116.0.5845.97

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Name Version
Brave 1.57.49 Chromium: 116.0.5845.96 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Revision 8d78ad7e96630cfcd3ab4165cf0fd421d3c4f068
OS Windows 10 Version 22H2 (Build 19045.3324)
JavaScript V8 11.6.189.18

Additional Information:
Extensions:

Name Version
uBlock Origin v1.51.0
SponsorBlock for YouTube - Skip Sponsorships v5.4.15
Shazam: Find song names from your browser v2.0.2
Refined GitHub v23.8.3
React Developer Tools v4.28.0 (7/10/2023)
Keepa - Amazon Price Tracker v4.12
Dark Reader v4.9.65
Bitwarden - Free Password Manager v2023.7.0

Edit:
I was just watching a YouTube livestream and after about 30-45min my tab crashed for “Out of Memory” brave at that time was using about 1.4GB from my total 32GB of ram:

2 Likes

Can you test in private window mode, no extensions?

I fully reinstalled the browser (2x) still same issues, also same issues in private mode (no extensions) and private with tor

I’m seeing more Out of Memory, STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION, STATUS_STACK_OVERFLOW errors lately with the brave browser in desktop version.

Same, the new update which added “Copy video frame” might be a bit buggy, as only YouTube has a lot of buffering for me, no other streaming/video site has that. I can easily watch a 4K movie on Netflix, but I can’t watch a 1080p video on YouTube without buffering/loading every 5-20sec

@fanboynz have you figured out a way to fix this issue?

Its not reproducible here. Try testing on a different computer, and also try Brave beta/nightly?

Does it occur on non-youtube pages? try disabling hardware acceleration

I use stable brave, it has been extreme on youtube, still a few lags on other sites like netflix and emby but not as bad as youtube

Version 1.57.57 Chromium: 116.0.5845.163 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Here is a video which shows that its almost impossible to watch a youtube video on brave with a quality higher than 480p:
brave (lags/buffers at 1080p) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gLUxjfiKTg
chrome (flawless in 4k) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhfrVrWTmXg

I use the same extensions on both brave and chrome, I also tried in private (incognito) mode with the same results

Is your hardware acceleration disabled in these cases? re-enable it. Which extensions do have installed? Disabling HW acceration should be done when GPU driver/display issues, will increase CPU load.

I tested various 4k videos (on a Nvidia 2080S here), no issues.

Hardware acceleration is enabled in both cases, disabling Hardware acceleration does buffer a bit more in chrome but still fine, brave can’t handle YouTube with Hardware acceleration disabled.

Also I was just away for about an hour, and my active Tab (YouTube) crashed because I had “no” memory

My pc specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (six core processor)
32GB Vengeance Ram
RTX 3060 TI (LHR)

SSD (WIN): Samsung 980 PRO 1TB
and 3 other drives totaling in additional 16TB HDD Storage

Does it work in private window mode?
Also test in Brave Beta (which creates a new profile).

nope same issues with private window/incognito, and also in brave beta without importing any settings so plain brave beta

also while playing a youtube video, the whole browser starts lagging and slowing down

Well plain brave beta is good, shows an unchanged version. If that helps. Also creates a seperate profile. Doesn’t have to be your main browser here, its just for testing.

I still get the same issue with default brave beta, I hope a dev could find a fix

Just upgraded to Windows 11 (22H2) from Windows 10 (22H2), still the same issues. So it has to be something with brave and not with my pc/windows

@xenos1337 big issue is in trying to reproduce. I’m able to watch the video you used as an example with absolutely no issues on performance. You can see where I tested at https://youtu.be/js2AQDRjvD8

I’m going to suppose it’s something in your graphics settings. There have been two separate issues from people that you may want to check.

1. Background Max Framerate settings. I kind of discuss this and provide link to a Github conversation you can see at Major issue with hardware acceleration - #2 by Saoiray

2. MFAA, which you can see at https://www.reddit.com/r/brave_browser/comments/166wtbi/comment/jz12n34/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

I know that second one is completely different than your situation. But I am using it as an example to show where it’s something related to NVIDIA settings that has an impact. As to my PC, I’m using the below.

Pretty weird, I have just restored Nvidia 3D default Settings and that seems to have “magically” fixed all the Brave issues, thanks a lot.

2 Likes

same issue but I have a 7900XTX so no nvidia

try enable hardware acceleration and reset the custom graphic settings in the AMD settings, also make sure you have the latest drivers installed