Getting "Region not supported" in supported region (Netherlands)

Briefly describe your issue:

I get “Region not supported” error when I try to login/verify to Uphold wallet from Brave.

Located in Netherlands which is in list of supported regions and wallet I’m trying to login to is same Uphold wallet which I’ve been connecting to and using with Brave for more then 2 years.

I started getting this problem beginning of July on both my desktop and mobile devices.

I contacted Brave support about this, and back in July they told me:

Verifying Brave Rewards with Uphold is temporarily unavailable. We’re aiming to restore service by early next week, but will keep you posted if any additional downtime is expected.

Temporary Pause On Uphold Linking

Which made no sense, but I gave it time and after I contacted them again after problem was marked as fixed, now their reply is:

The region restriction error is taken from the identification information provided by Uphold.

Please work with Uphold Support to identify any region restrictions that would cause you to be ineligible.

Hence at this point it’s safe to conclude that no one knows why this problem is happening.

What Operating System and Brave version are you using (Menu --> About Brave)?

Linux desktop (Ubuntu 22.04):
Version 1.42.95 Chromium: 104.0.5112.81 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Mobile: Android 12 (updated few days ago Galaxy S20+):
Brave 1.42.97, Chromium 104.0.5112.102

Is your browser wallet currently verified? (yes/no)

Yes

What date did you verify your wallet?

Have you been able to successfully receive payments in the past?

Yes

Are you using a VPN? (yes/no)

No

Are you in a supported region (see here for list of supported regions)?

Yes

Does your device pass the SafteyNet check (Android only)?

Yes

Have you fully completed Uphold’s CDD requirements?

Yes

Thanks @ahodzic, can you DM me the email linked to your Uphold account?

@ahodzic can you also confirm that the documentation used to originally KYC with Uphold was issued by the Netherlands and not a different country? Thank you.

Sent.

Yes.

Please inform me if you have any additional questions.

Hi @steeven , do you have any updates or ideas on what I could do to resolve this issue?

Thanks for following up. Still looking into this. Just to triple check, at no point in your KYC with Uphold did you submit documents from a country other than NL?

@steeven now that I think it about it, I might’ve sent one (valid) document from country other then NL. Could I somehow send in NL equivalent of this document for KYC, or if I would need to repeat the whole KYC procedure?

If yes, how would I go about doing either of those things?

Thanks

Thanks @ahodzic, thanks helpful to know. Let me check with Uphold on if/how this would be done.

Thanks @steeven, please let me know if you hear anything. I also requested support from them on this issue, but haven’t got anything back.

After being in touch with Uphold support on daily basis for 2 weeks, their last reply is “Having checked your Uphold account, I can see your account is fully verified and in good standing and is not causing the issue in this case.” and that I should contact Brave support.

Since that’s what I did the first time around and that it was Brave support that pointed me to Uphold support, due to this problem going on for too long (2 months) after 2 years I’m forced to stop using Brave.

Might pick it up in future and see if things have changed for the better.

That wasn’t the problem. Not sure if it’s in how you described it to them or if it’s bad customer service on their part. The issue was you having to make sure your passport/ID was from a different country.

From their perspective, you’ve shared information and they have it. You gave your ID and whatever else, so you’re verified for them. They don’t have a block on Netherlands and most likely no block on whatever country you were in beforehand.

HOWEVER, their API communicates with Brave. It would see whichever country you did submit for KYC and that’s what Brave sees. So I’m not sure which country you were in, but if you haven’t provided Netherlands ID to Uphold and they haven’t updated it to reflect in the API, then you’ll not be able to connect because Brave will see that your Uphold account is tied to whatever country your passport is from.

So in all of that, did you ever submit new documentation or did you just simply ask them if your account was in good standing? Because if didn’t submit new documents, then of course nothing changed and you’re still having issues

I forgot to mention that in my last 2 week correspondence with Uphold support, I explained the problem to them and they sent me new KYC link in which I solely used Dutch (Netherlands) documents.

That’s what they meant in their last message that “Having checked your Uphold account, I can see your account is fully verified and in good standing” but for some reason when I try to connect to it from Brave I’ll still get the same “region not supported” error.

1 Like

Sometimes needs a bit of time. I’m going to tag @steeven since he was working with your before. I’ll also advise maybe you DM him with the email associated with your Uphold account and maybe your Wallet Payment ID that you can find at brave://rewards-internals

In the past when situation was similar to yours and information was updated, they were able to refresh it and get it working. So hopefully they’ll do the same with yours.

I had the same issue today in Turkey?

@ahodzic any updates? Curious if has gone through.

Your country isn’t supported right now. It likely will be added again here by the end of the year, but we are waiting to see what’s happening. (And there’s a lot of articles & posts on this if you would have taken your time to search for answers)

Hi @Saoiray no updates unfortunately, as soon as I try to verify my Uphold wallet in Brave I’ll get “Error: Region not supported”.

Before it would let me login to Uphold and then I would get back this message. But now as soon as I click on login to Uphold I get this message.

In meantime as suggested I DM’ed @steeven with output of my brave://rewards-internals/

There’s not much coming from Uphold support, as:

As we are unsure of the exact criteria Brave uses to verify the BAT rewards in regards to your residency, identity and citizenship, the support we can provide for this issue is limited at this time.

And I don’t think it makes sense to contact them anymore as I tend to agree with them that problem might be on Brave side.

1 Like

Thanks @ahodzic, still digging on my end. Thank you for your patience.

Most welcome and thank you @steeven for still looking into this.

hello good afternoon, I have the same problem, it just started this month, I can’t link my uphold account again since it tells me that the region is not supported, I worked with uphold in brave since I started using brave but now I get this problem… was there any solution?