Frequent Crashing, MacOS Monterey, M1

Brave Frequently Crashing on MacOS Monterey:
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Start Brave
  2. Browse the web for a while.
  3. Kaboom! Without the usual Mac crash dialog/report coming up.

Expected result:

Browsing the web sans crashes.

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Version 1.35.100 Chromium: 98.0.4758.87 (Official Build) (arm64)

Additional Information:

This has been happening for about 4 days now. The crashes happen usually several hours apart, about 3/day. I haven’t detected any pattern or cause. I thought some extension was the likely culprit, so I created a new plain-vanilla profile with no extensions. Also with no changes to default preferences. This, however, does not solve the problem.

As I indicated above, these crashes always circumvent MacOS’s usual app-crash process, with the report dialog.

I’m running an M1 MacBook Pro 2020.

See the crash report from MacOS’s Console app here. https://pastebin.com/GncJd7nG

2 Likes

Operating System: Mac OS Catalina
Version: 10.15.7
System: iMac 27 inch, late 2012
Brave Browser Version: The latest version

I too have been experiencing frequent crashing incidents of late (over the last week or so).
At this point, when I launch the Brave Browser, it immediately crashes within seconds of the launch.
Before this most recent radical behavior, the browser operated normally over a good portion of a typical day and then would all of a sudden crash.
I do not know what triggered this sudden and unexpected behavior but unfortunately, Brave browser in its current state is completely unusable.
I look forward to resolving this issue as soon as the cause has been detected and a fix can be applied.

2 Likes

Since the last Brave update V1.35.100 Brave keeps crashing.
Operating System: Mac OS Catalina
Version: 10.15.7
System: iMac 27 inch, late 2012
Brave Browser Version: The latest version

2 Likes

@avid , @Steve_S , @BewareOfTheTrains, @RunoE

Brave Search Engine:

Article: “Why did that app crash?”

brave://settings/?search=crash

“Help improve Brave’s features and performance. Automatically sends crash reports to Brave.” (Is that enabled?)

Running the Console application (/Applications/Utilities/Console.app) for Mac OS.

In this application’s Console window, look at:

System Reports
User Reports
CrashReporter
DiagnosticReports
DiagnosticMessages

Wherever you may find them. For example, drill down into:

/Library/Logs – there you may find a DiagnosticReports

One problem that I find with Brave Browser – within the Console.app (for Mac OS) reporting – is that Brave Browser throws many excess WAKEUPS. Example:

Event: wakeups
Wakeups: 45002 wakeups over the last 180 seconds (250 wakeups per second average), exceeding limit of 150 wakeups per second over 300 seconds

Specifically, the culprit is, the “Brave Browser Helper (Renderer)”:

Path: /Applications/Brave Browser.app/Contents/Frameworks/Brave Browser Framework.framework/Versions/97.1.34.80/Helpers/Brave Browser Helper (Renderer).app/Contents/MacOS/Brave Browser Helper (Renderer)

Apple Activity Monitor (my Mac OS: “Sierra”)

Activity_Monitor_re_Brave_Browser_processes

Identifying the Cause of Common Crashes

“Find patterns in crash reports that identify common problems, and investigate the issue based on the pattern.”

2 Likes

I’d like to add the text of the report I found there, to this page, but the system rejects it as too long.

avid,

A while ago, I looked over a Mac OS Crash Report, and produced an example of how to [try and] gain some focus in all that clutter – take a look at:

1 Like

I ran Brave from a terminal. Here is the output, after a recent crash (a couple of minutes ago) using my default profile:

I’m not crashing but it’s become unbearably slow for me

2 Likes

I’ve also found that Brave sucks memory, so perhaps that’s causing the slowness?

@avid , @Mattches , @clifton , @rebron2000 , @kamil , @natetronn , @SomeGuyToo ,

Re the Console output that “avid” managed to capture via the Mac Terminal.app comand line, and upload to Pastebin (avid’s reply 7, above) . . .

source: chrome-extension://mnojpmjdmbbfmejpflffifhffcmidifd/out/brave_extension_background.bundle.js

is throwing a lot of errors. Example (there were 12 affected tabs, tabID: 2 included):

ERROR:CONSOLE(1)] “[Shields]: Can’t request shields panel data for tabId: 2. Error: No tab url specified”, source: chrome-extension://mnojpmjdmbbfmejpflffifhffcmidifd/out/brave_extension_background.bundle.js (1)

There is definitely unhappiness of/with:

“chrome-extension://mnojpmjdmbbfmejpflffifhffcmidifd”

Note the last entry (by “philiprhoades”) at that last link:

Brave_keeps_locking_up

Other errors:

ERROR:sharing_service.cc(222)] Device registration failed with fatal error

ERROR:quic_idle_network_detector.cc(102)] SetAlarm called after stopped

[YouTube]
ERROR:CONSOLE(14)] “Failed to handle media duration metadata: missing publisher key for media key youtube_cO6txCZpbsQ”, source: chrome-extension://mnojpmjdmbbfmejpflffifhffcmidifd/out/brave_extension_background.bundle.js (14)

ERROR:shared_image_manager.cc(275)] SharedImageManager::ProduceOverlay: Trying to Produce a Overlay representation from a non-existent mailbox.

ERROR:get_updates_processor.cc(260)] PostClientToServerMessage() failed during GetUpdates with error

1 Like

For any users here experiencing these crashes, can you please go to brave://crashes and

• if you have automatic crash reporting is enabled (Settings --> Privacy/Security --> Automatically send diagnostic reports), please respond back here with the crash report ID
  • If Automatically send diagnostic reports is not enabled, ensure you click Send on these crash reports listed on the page, then reply here with the crash report ID

Thank you.

2 Likes

Answering my own question: open Extensions tab > toggle ‘Developer mode’ to on > read the ID.

The only problem now is that I don’t have an extension with the ID ‘mnojpmjdmbbfmejpflffifhffcmidifd’. Huh?

Edit: see brave://inspect/#extensions

It’s a native extension, I guess — Brave’s Sheilds.

avid,

The chrome extension of interest, is apparently built-in to Brave Browser. I found the chrome extension at:

/Users/user_shortname/Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Default/Local Extension Settings/mnojpmjdmbbfmejpflffifhffcmidifd

Yet, the only extensions and control of same, that I know of - ie that are apparent to the typical user of Brave Browser - are somehow in the Settings at:

brave://settings/extensions

And, certainly, there is no clue [until it makes itself known by ERROR messages] to

“chrome-extension://mnojpmjdmbbfmejpflffifhffcmidifd”

I suspect that the chrome extension might also be the cause of, or related to causes of, other problems with Brave Browser:

• instability of the Shields settings

• instability of the browser background

• instability of downloading PNG formatted files

• instability of the Brave Browser display window [mobile]

For example, re the latter, the LEFT and RIGHT arrows for going back and forward among Brave Browser windows, disappear at random occasions. [Tapping where they should be, re-lights their icons.]

Meanwhile, I would follow the instructions given by “Mattches” – it is good that he came to our help.

1 Like

@Mattches

This one is from just now:
64540000-251c-ba07-0000-000000000000

One from 15:38 today is
6c250000-251c-ba07-0000-000000000000

From 10:24
e3240600-d4e4-b007-0000-000000000000

2 Likes

@avid,
Can you also open the browser and share a couple additional screenshots for me? Namely, the browser task manager (Menu —> More tools --> Task manager) and expand it as much as possible so we can see as much of the information as we can at once? Then, can you also do this with the macOS activity monitor (while Brave is running)? Make sure you’re on the Memory tab when you take the screenshot.

Thank you.

1 Like

Feb. 10 2022 12:26:
1bc1f046-34db-4a48-b282-285c8249f64d

@Mattches

(Re the Activity Monitor shot: this was taken only a couple of minutes after a crash-and-restart, so the memory usage is very low. I find that Brave (or perhaps a Brave extension) leaks memory, and usage will climb steadily until the OS starts giving warning dialogs.)

avid,

At the top of both screenshots - the tabs . . .

In your first screenshot, it would help to click on “Process Name”

In your second screenshot, it would help to click on “Task”

Thanks.

1 Like

@289wk Can you explain, please? I don’t see how alphabetical order would help here.

Groups together, same or similar -named processes:

Activity_Monitor_re_Brave_Browser_processes

The actual location of most of those processes:

/Applications/Brave Browser.app/Contents/Frameworks/Brave Browser Framework.framework/Versions/98.1.35.101/Helpers

2 Likes