Disabling autoplay prevents me from playing videos at all

Issue: When I disable video autoplay in Site and Shield Settings > Additional Settings > Autoplay, I can no longer play videos at all on news sites like cnn.com and nytimes.com. Videos work fine on social media sites like Twitter and FB, though. On the news sites, when autoplay is blocked, when I click the play button, the video either loads endlessly or starts to play and instantly freezes, never unfreezing.

If I allow autoplay, the problem stops. When I re-block it, the problem recurs. I have tried restarting the computer and exiting and re-opening the browser.

I am running Brave M1 version 1.22.71 Chromium: 89.0.4389.114 on an M1 Apple MacBook Air, which is running the most recent version (11.2.3) of MacOS Big Sur.

2 Likes

@tamjl,
Thank you for reaching out to us. It looks like I’m also able to reproduce the issue you’re describing. I’ve reached out to the team for more input and will reply here when I have more information

1 Like

Hey @tamjl

Autoplay logic hasn’t change since 12/15/2020, disabling/blocking Autoplay will requires users gesture to get the video playing, which may break some videos (depending on the implementation)

Same here. I’ve tried with Shields on and off; no difference.
Brave v1.22.71 Chromium: 89.0.4389.114 (Official Build) on 64 bit Windows 10

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.