Desktop Notifications

Description of the issue: Enabling desktop notifications doesn’t work as intended. It properly prompts you asking if you want to enable them for said website, but never actually does so.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Simply go to any page (https://top.gg/bot/443177681484251136/vote for this example)
  2. Wait for the site to ask you if you’d like to enable desktop notifications. You can trigger this by voting on the link above and checking the reminder, the prompt will then appear.
  3. The desktop notifications never appear. It’s set to “Allow” when double-checking here, but even the site will tell you the browser failed allowing notifications.

Expected result:
Enabled desktop notifications & receiving them when expected.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
1.1.23 Chromium: 79.0.3945.88 (Official Build) (64-bit)

@zThana,
I’m wondering if Shields up are blocking notifications in general – additionally, can you confirm that you’ve allowed Desktop notifications from Brave on the system level (on Windows)?

I can confirm Desktop notifications from Brave are enabled.
Even with Shields down, it gave me the same message.

@zThana,
Do you get Desktop notifications from websites other than the one that you linked above?

I haven’t tried that yet, sorry. Do you know a website I can test that on?
I must say that desktop notifications from Brave in general seem to work. I get desktop notifications from an extension.

@zThana,
You can test using this website (community.brave.com) – you can also use sites like this that are made with this very purpose in mind:
https://web-push-book.gauntface.com/demos/notification-examples/

That worked fine for me. Perhaps it’s the way that site requests for it? I wonder if other sites use the same method.

@zThana,
I’m going to reach out to one of our ad-block engineers and see if they can get some eyes on it and see what may be happening.
Appreciate your patience.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.