Daily Browser Crashes

Brave keeps crashing, runs for some random amount of time then just exits - no messages. I’ve used it for a few years zero problems, now it’s an unreliable pest. I uploaded crash reports from brave://crashes which got me “provide additional details” button. Clicking that and attempting to log into Github gets me “WHAT? your browser did something unexpected, Please try again. If the error continues, try disabling all browser extensions” - The only browser extension installed is Google Translate. WIN 10 Pro, i7 NUC,
Version 1.45.118 Chromium: 107.0.5304.91 (Official Build) (64-bit), Bitdefender AV (recently updated, I’m suspicious it might be implicated)
Uploaded Error Reports: 92e00600-c482-0f09-0000-000000000000, dfe30600-c482-0f09-0000-000000000000, e6e30600-c482-0f09-0000-000000000000

[**Update - I just checked and Bitdefender installed an anti tracking and wallet plugin without my knowledge, removing both of those fixed the github issue and may well have fixed the crashes. Will see what happens and report back :+1:]

MrSpook

1 Like

@Jarc-1107 @Alice2095
Do look into this.

Sad to see that. I think it’s part of why I tend to avoid extensions as much as I can. They do nothing but make it easier for people to be fingerprinted and just one more pathway for crap to find its way to your device.

I’ll be looking forward to your report on that. Hopefully issue will be fixed.

Ok so zero Brave crashes since disabling the Bitdefender extensions - either one or both of the extensions are a pretty clear culprit or I’ve experienced a pretty rare run of coincidence…

1 Like

@MrSpook it’s definitely Bitdefender. We just had more people posting about crashes and they also used it. Then last night had some saying they experienced issues on Facebook with it. They contacted Bitdefender support and supposedly change happened where it was resolved as of today.

That said, if you find having Bitdefender enables causes you to crash again, you may want to reach out to Bitdefender so they can try to work on it. It would be up to them, rather than Brave, to make adjustments.

I am not a fan of Bitdefender technical support… They generally do not act unless an enormous amount of data is supplied to them using a collection tool they supply. I do not trust antivirus companies - none of them so they do not get that sort of wide scope dataset from me. I have noticed on some sites Bitdefender have started securing the connection with certificates issued by them rather than using the sites certificate. No explanation or forewarning that I’ve seen. Are they running a proxy on some sites, snooping on my interactions or are they strengthening security by mitigating a certificate issue? In my mind, by default they are a blackbox and keep their users in the dark, they just do stuff without alerting users - don’t like that either.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.