Brave crashing and then Windows crashes

Hello,

I started usign Brave a few weeks ago after a friend presented this to me, and I have a huge problem…

From time to time the browser stops working (loading pages, I can open new tabs, settings and stuff like that) and after that, I can’t do anything, not even restarting my computer because my Windows crashes.

After that, I have to stop my computer from my physical button because I can’t do anything.

And yes, this only happens with Brave, with Chrome everything is fine. And yes, I reinstalled it. Still the same.

I like the browser and I want to use it, so going back to Chrome is not an option.

1 Like

I’ve been using Brave for years.

Just recently I’ve had this exact same issue.
First thing I notice is pages don’t come up and just continuously load.
Then I start losing all of my other programs.
Can’t reset. Have to do a hard shutdown (button).
Then wait for Windows to go over post crash boot which takes forever.

I also run Brave Beta along side Brave, but I’m actually thinking about using the Brave Nightly in place of Brave (I always run 2 browsers logged in differently) until this gets sorted out as I think it’s the official release with the issue.

I hope this gets fixed soon!

@kubaj,
Can you please tell me what version of Windows you’re using? Additionally, can you tell me what version of the browser you’re using, as well as whether or not you have any extensions installed in the browser at this time?

I know you didn’t direct that to me, but hopefully this helps.

Windows 10 Home
Version 1.31.91 Chromium: 95.0.4638.69 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Extensions
Application Launcher for Drive (Google
Bitly
Broken Link Checker
Crypto Wallets
Easy Window Resize
Keepa
Measure-it
Nimbus
Pay by Privacy.com
Raindrop.io
Save to Pocket
View Image Info
Wappalyzer
WhatFont

@VegasWill,
Can you try launching a private browsing window and tell me if the behavior is the same?

Ok. But, it takes a while. I can be on for hours for it to happen. I think it started happening about 4(?) days ago. Maybe 2x per day.
I’ll use the Private…

@VegasWill,
In that case, instead, I would recommend making a fresh browser profile and try browsing normally using it to see if the issue occurs. Ensure that you only have on profile running at a time (the newly created one) when performing this test.

I suspect that the cause is related to one (or more) of the installed extension. The new profile is a good “catch all” test to see whether or not the issue is related to the browser, or some data (such as extensions, cache, etc) held in your browser profile.

I’ll give it a try.

THANKS!

2 Likes

I was using WIndows 10 Pro, but I switched for a while to Zorin OS. So far on Zorin the browser is much better.

Since you mentioned extensions, I had https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/bitdefender-anti-tracker/khndhdhbebhaddchcgnalcjlaekbbeof

@Mattches, you are the man.
I had no idea what was causing my whole computer to hit a grinding halt as I usually have a ton of programs open.
So I’ve been using different profiles without the extensions and we’re all good since yesterday.
Love the Profiles and have never used them, but now I’m going to use them a lot as opposed to Beta and Nightly!

THANKS!
Will

No worries glad that did the trick. That said, it may be useful for you to root out the cause of the issue in your original profile should it appear again. I would start with disabling extensions and testing. If that isn’t the cause, I’d move to clearing cache/browsing data.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.