**Description of the issue: I was notified when I started Brave today that sync had been updated and so I went to try sync again after having issues a couple of months ago. I generated the sync code for another windows laptop and a qr code for an iphone (IOS). The codes were recognized on both, but after closing the settings neither device was synced with my main pc. It looks like each device started their own sync chain as no other device appears on the other. I will say though that this is much farther than I made it earlier this year.
Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
- Open Sync in brave settings
- Generate a sync code for a computer and a qr code for mobile
- Enter sync code in laptop and scan qr code for mobile
- Watch nothing happens.
Reproduces how often:
Reproduces every time I remove devices and re add them
Brave Version(See the
About Bravepage in the main menu):
Brave Version 1.12.112
Type of devices currently running on the Sync chain in question:
I’m trying to sync a desktop PC, windows Laptop, and an iPhone