Brave forgets everything after update

linux
bug
#1

Please add support for persistent history, passwords and bookmarks through upgrades.

For the 2nd time now I have had brave upgrade underneath me and loose all my saved data (History, passwords, bookmarks etc)

I could chalk the first time up to a bug, but the 2nd time is just embarrassing, as I recommend brave to many people. If this happens again, Ill have to find another browser to use.

The following thread (Now closed)outlines the same problems that I have experienced across multiple devices.

I see this on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

And running the “sudo snap revert brave” command doesnt fix the issue.

Regards

Highly frustrated user.

#2

@Wes1, thanks for reaching out.
Sorry to hear about this. I have a few questions about the circumstances surrounding your issues.

  • When they disappeared, were you upgrading from Muon --> Brave core? Or did you have one of them and a regular browser update (seemingly) caused this?

  • Can you examine the contents of your session-store-1 file on your machine? This holds browsing data and bookmark information. You should see be able to read through the text (even though it’s all unformatted) and identify bookmarked websites in the text. You’ll find this file in: ./config/brave/

#3

@Mattches Thanks for the reply. I didnt update manually. I just restarted the browser and it had updated automatically. I originally installed via snap on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

The session-store-1 file seems to contain bookmarks that were lost. Is there a way to restore these?

the .config/brave folder does not contain an html file with the bookmarks. So I cant seem to import them.

~/.config/brave$ find . | grep html
./Extensions/jdbefljfgobbmcidnmpjamcbhnbphjnb/1.9.459/content/web/viewer.html

#4

@Wes1,
Please correct me if I’m wrong, but it seems like you encountered our automatic upgrade while migrating from our Brave Muon release to our new Brave Core release. We actually have an article here on Community that addresses many issues encountered during the upgrade process which you may find useful:

Assuming I am understanding the question correctly, you should actually have two different Brave installations on our machine right now. One for Brave Muon and one for Brave Core.

  • The Muon (old) is the version you’re attempting to recover from, and all associated files should be located in the directory you previously checked - ~.config/brave.
  • The Core (new) version is the one you upgraded to and that we’ll be importing data into.

First thing to try is to just use the importer in Brave Core to grab your old data (taken from our Help Center):

#5

Yes! This is exactly what I came to complain about. I haven’t been using the new Brave because it’s taking so much work to switch over to the new one, and none of my passwords are there in the new one. I’m having to run them side by side.

#6

Thanks @Mattches This didnt help as I am provided a limited bookmarks import tab. :frowning:

Screenshot%20from%202019-02-06%2016-37-11

#7

My version number is: Version 0.58.21 Chromium: 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit)

#8

Hmmm gotcha. So I assume the Muon brave is uninstalled, correct? If it is uninstalled, here’s what I’d do:

  1. May sound weird, but re-download the Muon version of Brave. Install it as normal.
  2. Assuming you installed in the same place and your ./config folder still holds that brave directory where you found your bookmarks, Brave should launch with your browsing data already on it (bookmarks, history, etc)
  3. Now from here, return to the steps found in the article using the importer to grab your bookmarks from Brave(old). Do you see Brave(Old) as an option now?
  4. If yes, great! Import them and we’re done!
  5. If no, in (Muon) Brave, open the menu, go to Bookmarks --> Export Bookmarks which will export them as HTML. You can then import using the Bookmarks as HTML option in the importer.

Let me know if this works for you or if you need any additional assistance.

closed #9

Closed in favor of “master” issue below.
Even if you’ve already reported this issue before – reply here with some details about what did (or did not) get imported when they tried using the importer if you’d like to help us get this issue resolved:

opened #10
closed #11

Closed in favor of “master” issue below.
Even if you’ve already reported this issue before – reply here with some details about what did (or did not) get imported when they tried using the importer if you’d like to help us get this issue resolved: