Brave Update Deleted all Bookmarks, History, etc

So, Brave popped up a notice up and Update and I clicked on it. After a few moments a totally black window popped up. Nothing in the window to click on, totally black.

After a while, I closed that window and when Brave finally opened, all of my Bookmarks and all History is gone.

Brave is now Version 0.57.18 Chromium: 71.0.3578.80 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Windows 10 Home is version 1803, build 17134.407

What is going on? Is there a fix?

Brian Conner

1 Like

Hey @brianconner

Could you try the following for me:
Open Brave (0.57.18 version)
Go to brave://settings in a new tab
Go to Import bookmarks and settings
Choose Brave (old) and leave all items checked.
Then select Import.

This should bring over all your previous windows, tabs, cookies, etc.

Thanks!
Lauren

1 Like

Came here to suggest the same thing, very speedy @LaurenWags!

1 Like

I’m having the same issue, and I tried @LaurenWags suggestion (3 times!). Still, no bookmarks, passwords, etc. It’s like I have a new browser with none of my information in it.

By the way, I’m on a Mac.

Trying to find Import bookmarks and settings in Settings.

@brianconner, if you’re having issues, you can follow these instructions:

That worked, sort of. Had to drag icons into the Bookmarks Bar.

Also, @brianconner @Mancipia,
Your old Brave build should still be installed on your machine.
If you launch it, your settings and bookmarks, etc are all still present, correct?

Thank you.
Yes, they are.

I see two Brave browser icons. One appears to be the new, the other is inside of the Brave folder. When I click on either one, it opens the new version.

Found it. Not exactly user friendly, IMO.

None of your suggestions have worked for me. Please help!

Hello? Anyone there? Brave is now useless for me as all of my bookmarks are gone.

where is the html file?

So, not only have I been unable to get my bookmarks, but all saved passwords, etc., are not in the new version of Brave. I still have all the data in the old one. The import feature is not working. It takes too fast. I get the green checkmark right away.

@wadvocat, no need to blow up this thread.
@Mancipia, thank you for the information.

We’re looking into this right now. We want to make sure this transition is smooth and painless which we’re currently not living up to. Please allow us a bit of time to figure out exactly what’s going on. Appreciate your patience.

@Mancipia (or anyone), can you try manually importing just bookmarks? Export them from Brave Muon (old) (or any browser) as an HTML file. Then, select Bookmarks HTML file from the dropdown menu on the import screen. Let me know if bookmarks are imported properly.

Will do the manual HTML import…

1 Like

OK. It seems to have worked. I have an “Imported” folder showing up in my booksmarks bar. I randomly checked some bookmarks and they’re working.

1 Like

Where is the HTML file stored?

@Mancipia, appreciate the help. Good to know that the entire import mechanic isn’t broken!
Forwarding this info now.

@wadvocat,
Launch the old Brave (Muon) you just upgraded from. Go to Menu --> Bookmarks --> Export Bookmarks and you’ll be asked where you’d like to save the HTML file to. Import that file into new Brave.

1 Like