Brave auto-update failing on Win7 x64

bug
windows
#1

Hello (french guy here!),

I’m using Brave on Windows 7 x64 but when I check updates (menu > about brave), it says :
“An error occurred while checking for updates: Update check failed to start (error code 3: 0x80004002 – system level).”

It turns out that I already met the same issue on Google Chrome a few months ago and the ONLY solution that actually worked was :

  1. Close Chrome (if open)
  2. Kill any Google tasks in Task Manager
  3. Procure and copy the “Update” folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update) from a working machine
  4. Paste into the “C:\Program Files (x86)\Google” folder and completely overwrite the existing “Update” folder

So, I suppose it could also work on Brave following the same method.

Could a charitable soul upload a zip of his “Update” folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\BraveSoftware\Update) here ?

And if you have any other suggestion, I’m all ears. Thank you !

#2

Hi @Bakudane,

Can you try:

  • Close Brave
  • End any Brave task in Task Manager
  • Reopen Brave and check for update again

Let see if that’s working.

Or if that not working, you can download the installer again via brave.com/download (if you use the stable release). No need to uninstall. Just run the installer. It’ll fetch the latest version.

#3

Thanks for your answer @eljuno . I’ve tried your tip but still got the error. I’ve also tried to do a full clean re-install (described here)… same result.

Sure, I’ve already downloaded the latest stable release (v 0.59.34) but I’d like to not have to do that manually each time there’s a new update :slight_smile:

closed #4

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.