After normal exit and start, Brave failed to restore windows and tabs

Description of the issue:

I had a Brave session running with 3 windows and ~10 tabs per window.

I then explicitly shut down Brave normally (hamburger menu → Exit).

(I did this because I normally use a VPN, but an evil website that I have to sometimes use blocks all VPNs. When this situation arises, I exit Brave, turn off my VPN, use Chrome for just that website for a short period of time, then exit Chrome, restart my VPN, then restart Brave.)

I then started Brave normally, but all that came up was a single window with an empty tab.

In particular, there was no Restore tabs popup option presented to me. (I have sometimes seen that popup after a restart from a crash.)

I lost a lot. I tried to go thru my History and manually open tabs 1 by 1, but that only recovered 40% of them…

How can this issue be reproduced?

I have no idea.

Brave normally restores all my windows and tabs, even after a crash (e.g. by presenting me that Restore tabs popup option). Brave has gotten much better at this since when I started using it ~2 years ago (thank you devs). But this time, I was surprised that it failed.

Expected result:

Brave should restored all my windows and tabs.

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Brave is up to date
Version 1.9.76 Chromium: 81.0.4044.138 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:

I -think- that the first time that I tried to normally Exit Brave, that it failed–nothing happened, my windows and tabs were all still there, so I tried Exit a second time, and then it worked.

Brave needs to store snapshots in time of the ENTIRE window + tab state. Then, I could simply select the most recent such snapshot and restore everything, and in just one step.

This new functionality would be in addition to storing all my individual tabs in History,

I did a web search, and I think that this guy may be reporting a similar issue:
https://www.reddit.com/r/brave_browser/comments/c0nkvk/brave_doesnt_always_save_my_tabs_when_i_close_the/

A reply here by Inourtime also reports the deep frustration of History dropping really old tabs:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.