Youtube stalls on windows 11

Description of the issue:

I have just migrated from a windows 7 desktop to a brand new shiny windows 11 xps 8950 desktop, with GeForce GTX 1660 Ti graphics card.

Seems there’s an issue with youtube video playback. Many will stall after just a few seconds. Video/sound stop, then if the stall persists long enough, the video window goes blank while the spinning circle continues. May or may not eventually resume playing.

Hardware graphics acceleration on/off doesn’t seem to matter (Though may affect frequency of stall.) Brave shields up or down doesn’t seem to matter.

Looking at the brave task monitor, I have not seen any extraordinary (100% or greater) cpu spikes while the stall is occurring.

How can this issue be reproduced?

Go to Youtube.com

I have good results getting a predictable stall within a few seconds with this video:

But it’s certainly not the only one. Many of the low-res Brazil 66 videos (even those which display nothing more than an album cover) will stall as well.

Workaround is use use Firefox or Edge - no stalling there.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.46.144 Chromium: 108.0.5359.128 (Official Build) (64-bit)

After I submitted the above, I saw the linked video is playable within the problem report. I clicked to play, and after three seconds, it stalled. Graphics hardware acceleration off.

Turning off hardware acceleration will cause slow downs. since the cpu will be working much harder

I turned it off only because there seemed to be some sentiment in prior problem reports to do so. It was on when the problem first showed itself. But on or off, still happens.

I had no problem on the windows 7 box which had slower processing capability.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.